New release of GP bibliography co-authorship graph

  • w langdon
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2013
      I am please to announce a new version of the
      genetic programming bibliography coauthorship graph
      http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-coauthors/
      which includes a number of fixes and enhancements.
      These remove some problems reported in the Chrome web browser.

      Do please report any further problems to me.

      Krzysztof Krawiec has reported non-ascii coding of characters in
      http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-bibliography.bib
      I suspect these may have crept in via article abstracts.
      If anyone has advice on Unix tools to detect and ideally convert
      non-ascii code characters that would be helpful.

      As always, if you know of any published GP work that is
      missing from the bibliography, please let me have a _full_ citation,
      preferably in BibTeX and including URL and/or DOI.

      Thank you
      Bill

      ps: The GP-biblio is available via anonymous ftp from
      ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/authors/W.B.Langdon/biblio
      or via my home page. Additionally there is a www search interface at
      http://liinwww.ira.uka.de/bibliography/Ai/genetic.programming.html

      Dr. W. B. Langdon,
      Department of Computer Science,
      University College London
      Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
      http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/

      GECCO 2013 http://www.sigevo.org/gecco-2013/
      choose your background
      http://web4.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/colour_telephone/bgcolor.html
      A Field Guide to Genetic Programming
      http://www.gp-field-guide.org.uk/
      GP EM http://www.springer.com/10710
      GP Bibliography http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/
    • Michael G. Epitropakis
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28, 2013
        Dear Bill,

        On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:08 PM, w langdon <W.Langdon@...> wrote:
        > I am please to announce a new version of the
        > genetic programming bibliography coauthorship graph
        > http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-coauthors/
        > which includes a number of fixes and enhancements.
        > These remove some problems reported in the Chrome web browser.
        >
        > Do please report any further problems to me.
        >
        > Krzysztof Krawiec has reported non-ascii coding of characters in
        > http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-bibliography.bib
        > I suspect these may have crept in via article abstracts.
        > If anyone has advice on Unix tools to detect and ideally convert
        > non-ascii code characters that would be helpful.

        You can easily detect the non-ascii code characters by using the linux
        grep command [1]:

        grep --color='auto' -P -n "[\x80-\xFF]" gp-bibliography.bib

        --color='auto' just to see the characters in color
        -P the PATTERN as a Perl regular expression
        -n --line-number to show the line number in front of each line
        "[\x80-\xFF]" the non-ascii characters

        To convert them automatically is a little bit tricky. As you can see
        by executing the above grep command there are some strange characters
        in the text-files which probably have different encodings. So, I think
        you have to find/guess their encoding!

        the iconv tool can help for some characters:

        iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t ascii//translit filename
        iconv -f utf-8 -t ascii//translit filename

        -f from encoding
        -t to encoding

        but it can not convert them all correctly.

        Probably the best way is to detect them automatically and change them by hand.

        I hope this helped a little bit.

        Best regards,

        Michael.

        [1]. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3001177/how-do-i-grep-for-non-ascii-characters-in-unix

        > As always, if you know of any published GP work that is
        > missing from the bibliography, please let me have a _full_ citation,
        > preferably in BibTeX and including URL and/or DOI.
        >
        > Thank you
        > Bill
        >
        > ps: The GP-biblio is available via anonymous ftp from
        > ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/authors/W.B.Langdon/biblio
        > or via my home page. Additionally there is a www search interface at
        > http://liinwww.ira.uka.de/bibliography/Ai/genetic.programming.html
        >
        > Dr. W. B. Langdon,
        > Department of Computer Science,
        > University College London
        > Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
        > http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/
        >
        > GECCO 2013 http://www.sigevo.org/gecco-2013/
        > choose your background
        > http://web4.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/colour_telephone/bgcolor.html
        > A Field Guide to Genetic Programming
        > http://www.gp-field-guide.org.uk/
        > GP EM http://www.springer.com/10710
        > GP Bibliography http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/

        Best Regards,
        Michael G. Epitropakis
      • w langdon
        Message 3 of 3 , May 28, 2013
          Dear Michael,
          Thank you for the pointer to grep -P attern

          I have had a quick look and it appears that of the third of a million lines
          in the bibtex file 41 have gash characters in them. I think most
          of them are indeed in abstracts.

          It may be easiest to fix them individually rather than trying iconv
          but again thank you for the suggestion.
          Bill