Re: [GP] Suggestions for evolutionary computation systems to list in my book

  • Julian Miller
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013

      I am not sure if my Cartesian Genetic Programming program suite (written in C) qualifies? Currently it handles, symbolic regression problems, Boolean problems and integer regression problems but it is relatively easy to adapt to other problem domains. Anyway it is available from the CGP web site:

      Some implementations in other languages are available there also.

      Happy New Year!

      Julian

       Dr. Julian F. Miller
       Reader, Department of Electronics
       University of York
       Heslington, YO10 5DD
       UK
       Email: julian.miller@...
       Tel: +44 (0)1904 322383
       Fax: +44 (0)1904 322335
       http://www.elec.york.ac.uk/staff/jfm7.html
       Times Higher Education University of the Year 2010
      Cartesian Genetic Programming (I think therefore I CGP)

      Top journals in EC and GP
      Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines
      http://www.wkap.nl/journalhome.htm/1389-2576
      IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation
      http://ieee-cis.org/pubs/tec/
      Evolutionary Computation
      http://www.mitpressjournals.org/loi/evco

      "The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas" L. Pauling
      "If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it". A. Einstein
    • David Oranchak
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
        Hvae you considered Weka?  It is a zoo of machine learning algorithms but it includes some EC stuff, like GeneticSearch:

        A GP classifier is available, but I think it's an add-on:

        -Dave

        On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Sean Luke wrote:

        Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

        Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

        Sean

      • Conor Ryan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013
          Hi Sean,

          Here's a link to the latest version of Grammatical Evolution:

          http://bds.ul.ie/download.html

          It is written in C++, but supports the evolution of solutions in
          multiple languages.

          Regards,
          Conor

          On 6 January 2013 21:12, David Oranchak <doranchak@...> wrote:
          > Hvae you considered Weka? It is a zoo of machine learning algorithms but it
          > includes some EC stuff, like GeneticSearch:
          >
          > http://bio.informatics.indiana.edu/ml_docs/weka/weka.attributeSelection.GeneticSearch.html
          >
          > A GP classifier is available, but I think it's an add-on:
          >
          > http://sourceforge.net/projects/wekagp/
          > http://www.leyan.org/tiki-index.php?page=Genetic%20Programming
          >
          > -Dave
          >
          > On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Sean Luke wrote:
          >
          > Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking
          > of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use
          > (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand
          > on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that
          > are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3)
          > show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't
          > have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.
          >
          > Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.
          >
          > Sean

        • Stefan Wagner
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013

            Dear Sean,

            in this article [1] some authors recently published a comprehensive analysis and comparison of different systems for metaheuristic optimization.

            Best regards,

            Stefan

            [1] http://www.springerlink.com/content/j57p85k614ql8h77/

            Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

            Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

            Sean

          • Graham Thomson

              Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

              Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

              Sean

            • Laurie Hirsch
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 9, 2013
                There is a an evolutionary algorithms section of Apache Mahout which runs MapReduce jobs on Hadoop - see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Algorithms. I think it's still at quite an early stage of development,

                Regards,
                Laurie