Re: Suggestions for evolutionary computation systems to list in my book

  • François-Michel De Rainville
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
      I would also add DEAP:
      • Félix-Antoine Fortin, François-Michel De Rainville, Marc-André Gardner, Marc Parizeau and Christian Gagné, "DEAP: Evolutionary Algorithms Made Easy", Journal of Machine Learning Research, vol. 2171-2175, no 13, jul 2012. http://goo.gl/amJ3x
      • François-Michel De Rainville, Félix-Antoine Fortin, Marc-André Gardner, Marc Parizeau and Christian Gagné, "DEAP: A Python Framework for Evolutionary Algorithms", in EvoSoft Workshop, Companion proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2012), July 07-11 2012. http://goo.gl/pXXug
      Regards,
      François-Michel De Rainville
    • Julian Miller
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013

        I am not sure if my Cartesian Genetic Programming program suite (written in C) qualifies? Currently it handles, symbolic regression problems, Boolean problems and integer regression problems but it is relatively easy to adapt to other problem domains. Anyway it is available from the CGP web site:

        Some implementations in other languages are available there also.

        Happy New Year!

        Julian

         Dr. Julian F. Miller
         Reader, Department of Electronics
         University of York
         Heslington, YO10 5DD
         UK
         Email: julian.miller@...
         Tel: +44 (0)1904 322383
         Fax: +44 (0)1904 322335
         http://www.elec.york.ac.uk/staff/jfm7.html
         Times Higher Education University of the Year 2010
        Cartesian Genetic Programming (I think therefore I CGP)

        Top journals in EC and GP
        Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines
        http://www.wkap.nl/journalhome.htm/1389-2576
        IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation
        http://ieee-cis.org/pubs/tec/
        Evolutionary Computation
        http://www.mitpressjournals.org/loi/evco

        "The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas" L. Pauling
        "If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it". A. Einstein
      • Douglas Mota
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
          Dear Sean,
            Here it goes a humble contribution:

          HeuristicLab is a framework for heuristic and evolutionary algorithms...

          Regards!
          Douglas Mota Dias, DSc
          Postdoctoral Researcher
          ICA: Applied Computational Intelligence Laboratory
          Department of Electrical Engineering
          Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro - PUC-Rio
          Brazil

          De: Sean Luke <sean@...>
          Para: genetic programming <genetic_programming@yahoogroups.com>
          Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 4 de Janeiro de 2013 19:34
          Assunto: [GP] Suggestions for evolutionary computation systems to list in my book

          Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

          Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

          Sean

        • David Oranchak
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
            Hvae you considered Weka?  It is a zoo of machine learning algorithms but it includes some EC stuff, like GeneticSearch:

            A GP classifier is available, but I think it's an add-on:

            -Dave

            On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Sean Luke wrote:

            Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

            Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

            Sean

          • Conor Ryan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013
              Hi Sean,

              Here's a link to the latest version of Grammatical Evolution:

              http://bds.ul.ie/download.html

              It is written in C++, but supports the evolution of solutions in
              multiple languages.

              Regards,
              Conor

              On 6 January 2013 21:12, David Oranchak <doranchak@...> wrote:
              > Hvae you considered Weka? It is a zoo of machine learning algorithms but it
              > includes some EC stuff, like GeneticSearch:
              >
              > http://bio.informatics.indiana.edu/ml_docs/weka/weka.attributeSelection.GeneticSearch.html
              >
              > A GP classifier is available, but I think it's an add-on:
              >
              > http://sourceforge.net/projects/wekagp/
              > http://www.leyan.org/tiki-index.php?page=Genetic%20Programming
              >
              > -Dave
              >
              > On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Sean Luke wrote:
              >
              > Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking
              > of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use
              > (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand
              > on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that
              > are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3)
              > show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't
              > have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.
              >
              > Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.
              >
              > Sean

            • Stefan Wagner
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013

                Dear Sean,

                in this article [1] some authors recently published a comprehensive analysis and comparison of different systems for metaheuristic optimization.

                Best regards,

                Stefan

                [1] http://www.springerlink.com/content/j57p85k614ql8h77/

                Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

                Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

                Sean

              • Graham Thomson

                  Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

                  Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

                  Sean

                • Laurie Hirsch
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 9, 2013
                    There is a an evolutionary algorithms section of Apache Mahout which runs MapReduce jobs on Hadoop - see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Algorithms. I think it's still at quite an early stage of development,

                    Regards,
                    Laurie