Re: [GP] Suggestions for evolutionary computation systems to list in my book

  • w langdon
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
      Dear Sean,
      There are some listed at
      http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/homepages.html#4

      Also "Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines" has reviewed:
      Discipulus http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/foster_2001_discipulus.html
      lilgp,ECJ,GE http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/wilson_2004_GPEM.html
      Eureqa http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/Dubcakova_2011_GPEM.html
      OpenBeagle http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/Batenkov_2011_GPEM.html
      GPlab http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/Atmosukarto_2011_GPEM.html
      ECJ http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/White_2011_GPEM.html

      Bill

      Dr. W. B. Langdon,
      Department of Computer Science,
      University College London
      Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
      http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/

      EuroGP 2013 http://www.evostar.org/
      GECCO 2013 http://www.sigevo.org/gecco-2013/
      choose your background
      http://web4.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/colour_telephone/bgcolor.html
      A Field Guide to Genetic Programming
      http://www.gp-field-guide.org.uk/
      GP EM http://www.springer.com/10710
      GP Bibliography http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/

      On 1/4/13, Sean Luke <sean@...> wrote:
      > Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was
      > thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in
      > common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm
      > looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers
      > to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2)
      > well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages.
      > The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.
      >
      > Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.
      >
      > Sean

    • François-Michel De Rainville
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
        I would also add DEAP:
        • Félix-Antoine Fortin, François-Michel De Rainville, Marc-André Gardner, Marc Parizeau and Christian Gagné, "DEAP: Evolutionary Algorithms Made Easy", Journal of Machine Learning Research, vol. 2171-2175, no 13, jul 2012. http://goo.gl/amJ3x
        • François-Michel De Rainville, Félix-Antoine Fortin, Marc-André Gardner, Marc Parizeau and Christian Gagné, "DEAP: A Python Framework for Evolutionary Algorithms", in EvoSoft Workshop, Companion proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2012), July 07-11 2012. http://goo.gl/pXXug
        Regards,
        François-Michel De Rainville
      • Julian Miller
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013

          I am not sure if my Cartesian Genetic Programming program suite (written in C) qualifies? Currently it handles, symbolic regression problems, Boolean problems and integer regression problems but it is relatively easy to adapt to other problem domains. Anyway it is available from the CGP web site:

          Some implementations in other languages are available there also.

          Happy New Year!

          Julian

           Dr. Julian F. Miller
           Reader, Department of Electronics
           University of York
           Heslington, YO10 5DD
           UK
           Email: julian.miller@...
           Tel: +44 (0)1904 322383
           Fax: +44 (0)1904 322335
           http://www.elec.york.ac.uk/staff/jfm7.html
           Times Higher Education University of the Year 2010
          Cartesian Genetic Programming (I think therefore I CGP)

          Top journals in EC and GP
          Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines
          http://www.wkap.nl/journalhome.htm/1389-2576
          IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation
          http://ieee-cis.org/pubs/tec/
          Evolutionary Computation
          http://www.mitpressjournals.org/loi/evco

          "The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas" L. Pauling
          "If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it". A. Einstein
        • Douglas Mota
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
            Dear Sean,
              Here it goes a humble contribution:

            HeuristicLab is a framework for heuristic and evolutionary algorithms...

            Regards!
            Douglas Mota Dias, DSc
            Postdoctoral Researcher
            ICA: Applied Computational Intelligence Laboratory
            Department of Electrical Engineering
            Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro - PUC-Rio
            Brazil

            De: Sean Luke <sean@...>
            Para: genetic programming <genetic_programming@yahoogroups.com>
            Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 4 de Janeiro de 2013 19:34
            Assunto: [GP] Suggestions for evolutionary computation systems to list in my book

            Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

            Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

            Sean

          • David Oranchak
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
              Hvae you considered Weka?  It is a zoo of machine learning algorithms but it includes some EC stuff, like GeneticSearch:

              A GP classifier is available, but I think it's an add-on:

              -Dave

              On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Sean Luke wrote:

              Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

              Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

              Sean

            • Conor Ryan
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013
                Hi Sean,

                Here's a link to the latest version of Grammatical Evolution:

                http://bds.ul.ie/download.html

                It is written in C++, but supports the evolution of solutions in
                multiple languages.

                Regards,
                Conor

                On 6 January 2013 21:12, David Oranchak <doranchak@...> wrote:
                > Hvae you considered Weka? It is a zoo of machine learning algorithms but it
                > includes some EC stuff, like GeneticSearch:
                >
                > http://bio.informatics.indiana.edu/ml_docs/weka/weka.attributeSelection.GeneticSearch.html
                >
                > A GP classifier is available, but I think it's an add-on:
                >
                > http://sourceforge.net/projects/wekagp/
                > http://www.leyan.org/tiki-index.php?page=Genetic%20Programming
                >
                > -Dave
                >
                > On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Sean Luke wrote:
                >
                > Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking
                > of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use
                > (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand
                > on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that
                > are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3)
                > show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't
                > have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.
                >
                > Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.
                >
                > Sean

              • Stefan Wagner
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013

                  Dear Sean,

                  in this article [1] some authors recently published a comprehensive analysis and comparison of different systems for metaheuristic optimization.

                  Best regards,

                  Stefan

                  [1] http://www.springerlink.com/content/j57p85k614ql8h77/

                  Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

                  Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

                  Sean

                • Graham Thomson

                    Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

                    Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

                    Sean

                  • Laurie Hirsch
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 9, 2013
                      There is a an evolutionary algorithms section of Apache Mahout which runs MapReduce jobs on Hadoop - see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Algorithms. I think it's still at quite an early stage of development,

                      Regards,
                      Laurie