Suggestions for evolutionary computation systems to list in my book

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2013
      Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

      Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

      Sean
    • w langdon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
        Dear Sean,
        There are some listed at
        http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/homepages.html#4

        Also "Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines" has reviewed:
        Discipulus http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/foster_2001_discipulus.html
        lilgp,ECJ,GE http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/wilson_2004_GPEM.html
        Eureqa http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/Dubcakova_2011_GPEM.html
        OpenBeagle http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/Batenkov_2011_GPEM.html
        GPlab http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/Atmosukarto_2011_GPEM.html
        ECJ http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/White_2011_GPEM.html

        Bill

        Dr. W. B. Langdon,
        Department of Computer Science,
        University College London
        Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
        http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/

        EuroGP 2013 http://www.evostar.org/
        GECCO 2013 http://www.sigevo.org/gecco-2013/
        choose your background
        http://web4.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/colour_telephone/bgcolor.html
        A Field Guide to Genetic Programming
        http://www.gp-field-guide.org.uk/
        GP EM http://www.springer.com/10710
        GP Bibliography http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/

        On 1/4/13, Sean Luke <sean@...> wrote:
        > Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was
        > thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in
        > common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm
        > looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers
        > to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2)
        > well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages.
        > The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.
        >
        > Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.
        >
        > Sean

      • François-Michel De Rainville
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
          I would also add DEAP:
          • Félix-Antoine Fortin, François-Michel De Rainville, Marc-André Gardner, Marc Parizeau and Christian Gagné, "DEAP: Evolutionary Algorithms Made Easy", Journal of Machine Learning Research, vol. 2171-2175, no 13, jul 2012. http://goo.gl/amJ3x
          • François-Michel De Rainville, Félix-Antoine Fortin, Marc-André Gardner, Marc Parizeau and Christian Gagné, "DEAP: A Python Framework for Evolutionary Algorithms", in EvoSoft Workshop, Companion proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2012), July 07-11 2012. http://goo.gl/pXXug
          Regards,
          François-Michel De Rainville
        • Julian Miller
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013

            I am not sure if my Cartesian Genetic Programming program suite (written in C) qualifies? Currently it handles, symbolic regression problems, Boolean problems and integer regression problems but it is relatively easy to adapt to other problem domains. Anyway it is available from the CGP web site:

            Some implementations in other languages are available there also.

            Happy New Year!

            Julian

             Dr. Julian F. Miller
             Reader, Department of Electronics
             University of York
             Heslington, YO10 5DD
             UK
             Email: julian.miller@...
             Tel: +44 (0)1904 322383
             Fax: +44 (0)1904 322335
             http://www.elec.york.ac.uk/staff/jfm7.html
             Times Higher Education University of the Year 2010
            Cartesian Genetic Programming (I think therefore I CGP)

            Top journals in EC and GP
            Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines
            http://www.wkap.nl/journalhome.htm/1389-2576
            IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation
            http://ieee-cis.org/pubs/tec/
            Evolutionary Computation
            http://www.mitpressjournals.org/loi/evco

            "The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas" L. Pauling
            "If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it". A. Einstein
          • Douglas Mota
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
              Dear Sean,
                Here it goes a humble contribution:

              HeuristicLab is a framework for heuristic and evolutionary algorithms...

              Regards!
              Douglas Mota Dias, DSc
              Postdoctoral Researcher
              ICA: Applied Computational Intelligence Laboratory
              Department of Electrical Engineering
              Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro - PUC-Rio
              Brazil

              De: Sean Luke <sean@...>
              Para: genetic programming <genetic_programming@yahoogroups.com>
              Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 4 de Janeiro de 2013 19:34
              Assunto: [GP] Suggestions for evolutionary computation systems to list in my book

              Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

              Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

              Sean

            • David Oranchak
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
                Hvae you considered Weka?  It is a zoo of machine learning algorithms but it includes some EC stuff, like GeneticSearch:

                A GP classifier is available, but I think it's an add-on:

                -Dave

                On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Sean Luke wrote:

                Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

                Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

                Sean

              • Conor Ryan
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013
                  Hi Sean,

                  Here's a link to the latest version of Grammatical Evolution:

                  http://bds.ul.ie/download.html

                  It is written in C++, but supports the evolution of solutions in
                  multiple languages.

                  Regards,
                  Conor

                  On 6 January 2013 21:12, David Oranchak <doranchak@...> wrote:
                  > Hvae you considered Weka? It is a zoo of machine learning algorithms but it
                  > includes some EC stuff, like GeneticSearch:
                  >
                  > http://bio.informatics.indiana.edu/ml_docs/weka/weka.attributeSelection.GeneticSearch.html
                  >
                  > A GP classifier is available, but I think it's an add-on:
                  >
                  > http://sourceforge.net/projects/wekagp/
                  > http://www.leyan.org/tiki-index.php?page=Genetic%20Programming
                  >
                  > -Dave
                  >
                  > On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Sean Luke wrote:
                  >
                  > Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking
                  > of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use
                  > (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand
                  > on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that
                  > are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3)
                  > show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't
                  > have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.
                  >
                  > Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.
                  >
                  > Sean

                • Stefan Wagner
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013

                    Dear Sean,

                    in this article [1] some authors recently published a comprehensive analysis and comparison of different systems for metaheuristic optimization.

                    Best regards,

                    Stefan

                    [1] http://www.springerlink.com/content/j57p85k614ql8h77/

                    Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

                    Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

                    Sean

                  • Graham Thomson

                      Hi all. I'm working on a revision of my metaheuristics book and was thinking of updating the woefully incomplete list of major EC systems in common use (I've just got ECJ, EO / ParadiseEO, and OpenBEAGLE). I'm looking to expand on this. My goal is to provide a collection of pointers to EC systems that are (0) general purpose (1) in wide use in the field (2) well respected (3) show a diversity across major platforms and languages. The system doesn't have to fulfill all those criteria but it'd be nice.

                      Suggestions? I've got plenty of space.

                      Sean

                    • Laurie Hirsch
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 9, 2013
                        There is a an evolutionary algorithms section of Apache Mahout which runs MapReduce jobs on Hadoop - see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Algorithms. I think it's still at quite an early stage of development,

                        Regards,
                        Laurie