Re: [GP] Majority Classification Problem

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2013
      Thanks guys. That was just what I was looking for. BTW, someone needs to update Wikipedia about this, all it points to is the Das results.

      Sean

      On Jan 2, 2013, at 3:23 PM, Greg Hornby wrote:

      > Hugues Juille worked on this several years ago and I'm under the impression he got very good results. Check out:
      >
      > Juillé, H. and Pollack, J. B. (1998). Coevolving the "Ideal" Trainer: Application to the Discovery of Cellular Automata Rules.
      > Proceedings of the Third Annual Genetic Programming Conference , Madison, Wisconsin, July 22 - 25, 1998.
      >
      > This paper is online at:
      > http://demo.cs.brandeis.edu/papers/long.html#gp98
      > http://demo.cs.brandeis.edu/papers/gp98.pdf
      >
      > Table 1 of that paper suggests he might have achieved an 86% success rate on 149 bits. Hugues's dissertation came out in '99 and it might be more clear on this.
    • w langdon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2013
        Dear Sean,
        This is indeed mentioned in his PhD thesis
        http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-html/hugues_thesis.html
        eg chapters 4 and 6.
        Bill

      • Bob McKay
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2013
          Hi Sean; you might find this article useful for a recent summary:
          http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12293-012-0093-z#

          @article{Enzan2012,
          year={2012},
          issn={1865-9284},
          journal={Memetic Computing},
          doi={10.1007/s12293-012-0093-z},
          title={Cell state change dynamics in cellular automata},
          url={http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12293-012-0093-z},
          publisher={Springer-Verlag},
          keywords={Cellular automata; Density classification; Evolutionary algorithms},
          author={Iclănzan, David and Gog, Anca and Chira, Camelia},
          pages={1-9},
          language={English}
          }

              Cheers