GP Tree Sizes Exceeding Max Depth - How to solve this?

  • tolgaserincs
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hello everyone,

      I am doing a masters thesis on Genetic Programming Applied on Stock Markets. I wanted to share a problem I am having about the tree sizes (for weeks now) with you with the hopes of finding an actual solution.

      I am using the gp.XOver and gp.Mutation pipelines for breeding Individuals and using a HalfBuilder to initialize trees. I am setting the max-size of trees in initialization to 6 and similarly max depths for all breeding operations again to 6.

      However, sometimes the best individuals that are returned by the simulation happen to have tree sizes more than 6 (against my will!) I want to prevent this from happening.

      I would highly appreciate it if someone would help me or give me some ideas on how to prevent such a problem.

      Thanks in advance.

      Tolga Serin
      University of Bristol