EVO-DesignOpt Group - MIT - GP Related Graduate Student Research Assistantships, Fall 2011

  • Una-May O'Reilly
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2010
      Dear GP List readers,

      Evolutionary Design and Computation, at CSAIL, MIT has openings for at
      least one new graduate student to work with me as a research assistant on
      GP projects.

      If you want to come to MIT and complete a PhD with me as your adviser you
      need to secure admission to an MIT graduate program to make this a reality.
      The deadline for EECS MIT graduate admissions is December 15, so if you're
      interested please follow up quickly. You can try to contact me before you
      apply to tell me your interests or ask me questions about my
      agenda but my schedule does not usually afford me time to respond to these
      sorts of emails. I will rely upon you reading the EVO-DesignOpt group web
      pages, in particular looking at publications, current projects, student
      research opportunities and writing a relevant statement of interest on your
      application.

      My group's members generally have core technical interests in evolutionary
      computation, bio-inspired computation, optimization, and/or
      modeling. Their broad area of interest is AI. At this time a complementary
      interest and strength in systems (e.g. network coding, compiler design,
      virtualization), data mining or wind energy is ideal.

      Admission to MIT is challenging and competitive but don't let this
      discourage you from applying if you have an excellent background. Check the
      MIT graduate admissions general web site and the site that is specific for
      the academic department you wish to join for more information. Past student
      members have been enrolled in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science,
      Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Systems Division (ESD) and Computation
      for Design and Optimization (CDO).

      Some links with more info:
      My group: http://groups.csail.mit.edu/EVO-DesignOpt
      Me: http://people.csail.mit.edu/unamay/
      Graduate Study at MIT: http://web.mit.edu/catalog/overv.chap4.html
      MIT EECS graduate program info: http://www.eecs.mit.edu/grad/index.html

      Thanks
      Una-May O'Reilly
      Evolutionary Design and Computation Group
      Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab
      Massachusetts Institute of Technology
      Cambridge, MA, USA

      --
      Una-May O'Reilly, PhD.
      Principal Research Scientist, CSAIL, MIT
      http://people.csail.mit.edu/unamay/
      http://groups.csail.mit.edu/EVO-DesignOpt
    • John WOODWARD
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2010

        The Division of Computer Science at the University of Nottingham Ningbo China (http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/) has a number of openings for PhD students in Computer Science in the area of Machine Learning. The PhD scholarships are funded (some fully funded and some partially funded) by the University of Nottingham for a period of three years. The student is expected to spend one year in China, one year in the UK and the final year in China. The position is expected to begin from October 2010. PhD topics are available on a number of areas, however strong candidate are encouraged to propose their own projects. Suggested projects include

        ·  1.Designing active heuristics.

        ·  2.Use of representation and meta-bias in machine learning algorithms

        ·  3.The automatic design of metaheuristic algorithms.

        ·  4.Examining new metrics over spaces of programs.

        Applicants should have a degree in Computer Science or a related discipline. A strong programming background is required and a good mathematics background is desirable. Excellent communication skills and a high level English are required. Interested candidates are encouraged to make initial inquires to Dr John Woodward john.woodward@.... The deadline for applications is 15th Jan 2011, and should include a cover letter, a CV and a research statement. Further details of these projects can be obtained by emailing me.

        thanks

        John Woodward

        webpages: http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~jrw/ http://uk.linkedin.com/in/johnrwwoodward http://www.facebook.com/JohnRWWoodward

        emails: john.woodward@... john.r.woodward@... jrw@...

        phones: mobile +86 18658297583 office 8818 0239  fax +86 (0)574 8818 0125 skype john.r.woodward

        address: 423 Administration Building, University of Nottingham, Ningbo China, 199 Taikang East Road, University Park, Ningbo, Zhejiang, 315100, P.R.C.