Generative and Developmental Systems Track, GECCO 2011, Call for Papers

  • jeffreyclune
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2010
      GENERATIVE AND DEVELOPMENTAL SYSTEMS TRACK
      2011 GENETIC AND EVOLUTIONARY COMPUTATION CONFERENCE (GECCO-2011)

      http://www.sigevo.org/gecco-2011

      Dear Generative and Developmental Systems (GDS) Researcher,

      We invite you to submit a paper to the GDS track at GECCO 2011, which is the premier conference for GDS-related work worldwide.

      Our program committee of GDS experts means that your paper will be reviewed by many leaders in the field. Moreover, the attendance and enthusiasm at the GDS track has increased every year since it started in 2007. The size and prestige of the GECCO conference will allow many researchers to learn
      about your work, both at the conference and via the proceedings (GECCO has the highest impact rating of all conferences in the field of Evolutionary Computation and Artificial Life*).

      Generative and Developmental Systems (GDS) is the study of indirect representations (also known as generative or developmental encodings), i.e. indirect mappings between the genotype and phenotype. Indirect representations are often inspired by biological development, where complex phenotypes are grown from compact genomes. The aim of such systems is to exploit powerful representations that efficiently encode complex structures and increase the scalability and evolvability of evolutionary algorithms.

      Traditionally, GDS has focused on mappings that involve a developmental stage, implemented in a variety of ways including re-write systems and cell chemistry simulations. However, GDS concerns a wide range of indirect encodings, including high-level abstractions of biological development and environmental interactions.

      GDS research both sheds light on biological development and furthers engineering goals by harnessing generative representations for evolutionary design. Overall, GDS concerns a wide range of indirect representations concerned with the genotype-phenotype map and encourages comparison, discussion, and analysis of the advantages and relationships among various representations. The GDS track is also open to papers regarding applications of generative encodings to interesting problems.

      We invite all papers related to GDS, including those in the following subject areas: artificial development, artificial embryogeny, compositional pattern producing networks (CPPNs), computational embryology, developmental encodings, evolutionary design, generative representations, genetic regulatory networks (GRNs), indirect encodings, genotype to phenotype mappings, procedural representations, Lindenmayer Systems (L-Systems), etc.

      For more information, visit the GDS Community webpage at gds.wikispot.org

      We also want to alert you to the historical importance of this track. Many of you share our excitement about this field and its connection to the powerful capabilities of biological encoding and development. For many years, there was no consistent annual venue to which researchers in this area could submit papers to be reviewed by a committee of GDS researchers. Most opportunities to present work in this area have been through one-time workshops or symposia that do not carry the same weight as a GECCO conference publication. To address this gap, a committee of GDS researchers encouraged GECCO to establish an official conference track in 2007. With the establishment of the track, we now have an opportunity to build a strong and consistent community that can improve and flourish over time.

      However, the track can only survive with your submissions. It is important to note that GECCO permanently cancels tracks that fail to attract sufficient submissions. Therefore, our community can preserve this new resource only by contributing papers. We know that you have many options for submitting your GDS-related ideas, and we hope that you will consider the long-term investment that GDS represents for the community. Our program committee is selected from among the top GDS researchers in the world, and we hope that our track will continue to flourish with your enthusiasm.

      IMPORTANT DATES
      * Submission deadline: January 26, 2011
      * Notification of paper acceptance: March 23, 2011
      * Camera-ready submission: April 8, 2011
      * GECCO-2010 Conference: July 12-16, 2011

      The conference will be held in Dublin, Ireland.

      For more information, please see the GECCO homepage at http://www.sigevo.org/gecco-2011

      Best Regards,

      Jeff Clune and Greg Hornby

      2011 GECCO GDS Track Chairs

      * http://www.cs-conference-ranking.org/conferencerankings/topicsii.html

      GECCO is sponsored by the Association for Computing Machinery Special
      Interest Group on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (SIGEVO). SIG
      Services: 2 Penn Plaza, Suite 701, New York, NY, 10121, USA,
      1-800-342-6626 (USA and Canada) or +212-626-0500 (Global).