Call for Abstracts: Genetic Programming Theory and Practice 2011 (GPTP-2011)

  • Rick Riolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2010
      Ninth Annual invitation-only Workshop on
      Genetic Programming in Theory and Practice -- GPTP 2011
      May 12-14, Ann Arbor, MI, U.S.A.

      The Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS) at the University
      of Michigan is pleased to be hosting GPTP-2011 -- Ninth Annual Genetic
      Programming Theory and Practice Workshop on May 12-14
      (Thursday-Saturday), 2011, Ann Arbor, Michigan U.S.A.

      GPTP is a small, one-track, invitation-only workshop devoted to the
      integration of theory and practice. In particular, it focuses on how
      theory can inform practice and what practice reveals about theory.

      If you are interested in presenting a paper at GPTP-2011, we ask you
      to submit an extended abstract describing your work and results. New
      invitees will be selected based on proposed abstracts.

      GPTP-2010 discussions focused on the future of GP, the need to
      re-think the algorithms and re-design systems to solve conceptually
      harder problems. For GPTP-2011 We would like to sustain this depth and
      encourage our contributors to submit work that reveals new
      understanding about GP and its application.

      We strive for the results that (a) highlight a qualitative new
      understanding of some GP issue along with empirical evidence; (b)
      demonstrate a qualitatively new GP application; or (c) show
      substantive (2 to 10 times) improvements in speed, reliability,
      results quality, etc.

      Many questions about GP are yet to be answered (see "Introduction to
      GPTP 2010" by T. McConaghy, E. Vladislavleva, R. Riolo
      (http://www.cscs.umich.edu/gptp-workshops/gptp2010-introduction.pdf)
      from Genetic Programming in Theory and Practice VIII,
      http://www.springer.com/computer/ai/book/978-1-4419-7746-5 ):
      - What does it take to make GP a science?
      - Is GP a technology?
      - How do we get 1 million people using GP? Should they even know
      they're using GP?
      - How can GP be improved to solve problems that are 10x, 100x,
      1,000,000x harder?
      - What opportunities await GP due to new computing architectures and
      substrates, with potentially vastly richer processing resources?
      - How to use GP having to massive memory and storage capacity, coupled
      with giant databases?
      - What ``uncrackable'' problems await a creative GP approach?

      The goal is to continue to make GPTP workshops a leading venue for
      high quality, cutting-edge work for progress toward a science of GP.

      To see a list of participants and papers for previous GPTP workshops,
      visit http://cscs.umich.edu/events/gptp-workshops. The papers have
      been published in a series of "Genetic Programming Theory and
      Practice" books, one for each year (by Kluwer/Springer).

      GPTP 2011 will be held on campus of the University of Michigan in Ann
      Arbor. GPTP participants will again gather in one room for two and a
      half days, present their newest work, discuss the challenges of GP,
      search for common traits in the field's development, get a better
      understanding of the global state-of-the-art and share the vision on
      the ``next big things'' in GP theory and practice.

      A maximum of 18 papers by theorists and practitioners will be
      presented with substantial time allocated for discussion. The papers
      will be reviewed by co-participants prior to the workshop, and
      collected for publication in a book to be published as soon as
      possible after the workshop. As we would like to have the papers
      available for distribution before the workshop, the deadline for the
      submission of full papers will be mid/late March 2011. Papers will be
      16 pages.

      If you are interested in having a paper considered for presentation at
      the workshop and included in the book, please send a one-page abstract
      as well as a short CV of the authors to: gptp-2011@... by
      11 December 2010 (Earlier responses are encouraged).

      The abstracts will be reviewed and decisions made by 31 December
      2010. We will select 2-6 proposed papers based on relevance to the
      GPTP workshop goals, the expected quality of the contribution, and how
      the paper topic will fit with the "mix" of other invited and selected
      papers.

      There is no "workshop fee" for participation, as workshop is funded by
      generous donations from groups and companies interested in advancing
      the art and science of GP. If you have questions, please email them to
      gptp-2011@... .

      GPTP-2011 Workshop Organization Committee:

      Rick Riolo, Katya Vladislavleva, and Jason Moore

      --
      Rick Riolo rlriolo@...
      Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)