Re: [GP] Re: quasi-random numbers?

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2010
      On Apr 30, 2010, at 10:30 PM, hoai nguyen xuan wrote:
      > Essentially, the purpose of of pseudo-random numbers and quasi-
      > random numbers are different. The aim of the former is to try to
      > look random, i.e. given a historical sequence of numbers generated
      > by a pseudo-random number generator, it is hard to predict what is
      > the next in the sequence.

      If I may deviate from the discussion at hand: but isn't it the case
      that predictability is perfectly acceptable for standard (non-crypto)
      RNGs? For example, Mersenne Twister's output is quite predictable
      given previous values in the sequence. Rather, standard RNGs should
      produce statistically random, uniformly distributed sequences, correct?