Benefits of Coevolution

  • Brian Hargrave
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2001
      Can anyone refer some good papers on the benefits of coevolution, especially for symbolic regression applications?

      Thanks,

      Brian K. Hargrave, B.S.M.E.
      Graduate Student
      Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
      Oklahoma State University
      Stillwater,OK
      (405)-744-5900

    • Terrance Soule
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2001
        Brian,

        I did some work coevolving cooperative programs for symbolic regression:

        "Heterogeneity and Specialization in Evolving Teams"
        Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutonary Computation Conference 2000
        pages 778-785

        and
        "Using Genetic Algorithms to Evolve Cooperative Teams"
        Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutonary Computation Conference 2001
        Page 783

        If you don't have access to the proceedings I'd be happy to email you the
        papers.

        Terry Soule

        On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Brian Hargrave wrote:

        > Can anyone refer some good papers on the benefits of coevolution, especially for symbolic
        > regression applications?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Brian K. Hargrave, B.S.M.E.
        > Graduate Student
        > Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
        > Oklahoma State University
        > Stillwater,OK
        > (405)-744-5900

      • John Allred
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2001
          Hi Terry:

          If you don't mind, I'd love to receive a copy of your papers.

          Thanks in advance,
          John

          At 02:01 PM 8/10/2001 -0700, you wrote:

          >Brian,
          >
          >I did some work coevolving cooperative programs for symbolic regression:
          >
          >"Heterogeneity and Specialization in Evolving Teams"
          >Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutonary Computation Conference 2000
          >pages 778-785
          >
          >and
          >"Using Genetic Algorithms to Evolve Cooperative Teams"
          >Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutonary Computation Conference 2001
          >Page 783
          >
          >If you don't have access to the proceedings I'd be happy to email you the
          >papers.
          >
          >Terry Soule
          >
          >On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Brian Hargrave wrote:
          >
          > > Can anyone refer some good papers on the benefits of coevolution,
          > especially for symbolic
          > > regression applications?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Brian K. Hargrave, B.S.M.E.
          > > Graduate Student
          > > Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
          > > Oklahoma State University
          > > Stillwater,OK
          > > (405)-744-5900

        • John Allred
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2001
            Sorry about my last spam of the group, when I only meant to reply to Terry.

            This brings up a administrivia point -- should the "reply to" address be
            the genetic programming mailing list, or the author? Both options have
            their positives, I'm just curious what the group things.

            John
          • Martin C. Martin
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2001
              On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, John Allred wrote:

              > [S]hould the "reply to" address be the genetic programming mailing
              > list, or the author?

              My two cents:

              Personally, I prefer the author, since I'd rather my accidents be
              sending public messages to one person, than private info to a whole
              list. But, reply to group seems to be the standard, so in the long run
              it's probably best to stick with that. I've gotten used to it without
              too much of a problem.

              - Martin
            • Maarten Keijzer
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 11, 2001
                Interesting, we seem to have started an evolutionary tug of war to figure out
                which mailing list to use. As I assume everyone is now subscribed to both
                mailing lists, the stanford one and the yahoo one (didn't yahoo also start at
                stanford?), we can now figure out where the list goes by checking which of
                the lists captures most traffic.

                As I've been voting for Yahoo, this message goes to the Yahoo list. We do
                have to figure out which list to use before the two lists go out of sync. My
                best guess is that we have a month of time.

                BTW, my little poll elicited up till now two responses about lag and
                mis-ordered messages. I am thus not the only one experiencing strange
                problems with the majordomo at stanford.

                Unfortunately I'm not sure how widespread this is as my question was not the
                right one to ask on the stanford mailing list. It kind of reduced to the
                question: "Whoever cannot hear me please answer!".

                But in any case I've seen I'm not unique in my troubles with the stanford
                list, hence this message.

                Cheers,

                -Maarten-