PhD Studentship in Learning Classifier Systems at the University of Nottingham

  • Jaume Bacardit
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2008
      [Apologies if you receive multiple times this announcement]

      * PhD Studentship in the University of Nottingham, UK
      * Project title: Principled design of Learning Classifier Systems for
      challenging Bioinformatics domains
      * Funding body: School of Computer Science, University of Nottingham
      * Deadline for application: June 30th, 2008
      * Studentship start date: September, 2008

      With funding from the School of Computer Science at the University of
      Nottingham, the project "Principled design of Learning Classifier
      Systems for challenging Bioinformatics domains" invites applications
      from interested students at doctoral training level.

      Learning Classifier Systems (LCS) are robust machine learning techniques
      very suitable for data mining and knowledge discovery. In recent years,
      there has been important research effort in advanced representations,
      search mechanisms, theoretical analysis, etc. However, there are very
      few examples of the application of all these advances to challenging
      large-scale domains such as bioinformatics domains. The aim of this
      project is to engineer a competent and robust LCS system specially
      designed for large-scale bioinformatics domains, involving the study of
      theoretical models of LCS behaviour, proposal of new representations,
      exploration mechanisms and robust policies of application of the
      different LCS subsystems.

      The project is oriented towards solving bioinformatics problems. Thus,
      students must have a strong interest in working on an interdisciplinary
      field where gaining knowledge of new areas and techniques is a constant
      requirement. They should have at least an upper second-class honours
      degree (ideally a first class degree), or a combination of
      qualifications and/or experience equivalent to that level. Ideally,
      students should have a BSc or MSc degree in computer science, but those
      with a mathematical, biological, physical, or chemical background, if
      they have strong computing skills, are also encouraged to apply.

      The student will be based in the Automated Scheduling, Optimisation &
      Planning (ASAP) Group, which is one of four main research groups within
      the School of Computer Science at Nottingham. The School received a
      Grade 5 in the last UK RAE exercise. ASAP has been carrying out
      innovative research into the development and investigation of decision
      support, search methodologies and machine learning for a wide and
      diverse range of real world problem environments for the last 10 years.
      The group comprises 10 members of academic staff, 23 researchers, 60
      PhD students and three administrators.

      Due to funding restrictions, this studentship only provides home tuition
      fees (UK/EU students) and a tax-free stipend of around 12,000 per annum.

      Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr J Bacardit, tel: 0115 846 7044
      or Email: Jaume.Bacardit@....

      Applications, with a detailed CV, a research statement and the names and
      addresses of two referees, should be sent to Ms D Pitchfork, School of
      Computer Science, The University of Nottingham, Jubilee Campus, Wollaton
      Road, Nottingham, NG8 1BB. Tel: 0115 846 6543. Email:
      Deborah.Pitchfork@.... Please quote ref. SCI/419. Closing
      date: 30 June 2008.

    • Thomas Widlar
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2008
        Is John Koza's GPPS (General Purpose Problem Solver)
        available? I've seen references to GPPS 1.0 and GPPS
        2.0 but searching the web doesn't give me anything.

        Thanks.
      • John Koza
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2008
          This code was written, years ago, as part of a now-disused computer and
          system. It would need to be recoded today for your own system.

          Dr. John R. Koza
          Box K
          Los Altos, California 94023 USA
          Phone: 650-941-0336
          Fax: 650-941-9430
          Email: john@...

          Is John Koza's GPPS (General Purpose Problem Solver) available? I've seen
          references to GPPS 1.0 and GPPS 2.0 but searching the web doesn't give me
          anything.

          Thanks.

          database 3075 (20080505) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • Forrest H Bennett III
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2008
            GPPS has never been available and never will be available. It was used
            as a pedagogical device only in our book. For most problems, it is too
            slow, so don't even bother implementing it yourself. There are any
            other number of fine GP implementations available for free.
            Forrest

            On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Thomas Widlar <twidlar@...> wrote:

            > Is John Koza's GPPS (General Purpose Problem Solver)
            > available? I've seen references to GPPS 1.0 and GPPS
            > 2.0 but searching the web doesn't give me anything.
            >
            > Thanks.

          • Jaume Bacardit
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
              [Apologies if you receive multiple times this announcement]

              * PhD Studentship in the University of Nottingham, UK
              * Project title: Principled design of Learning Classifier Systems for
              challenging large-scale domains
              * Funding body: School of Computer Science, University of Nottingham
              * Deadline for application: September 30th, 2008
              * Studentship start date: October/November, 2008

              With funding from the School of Computer Science at the University of
              Nottingham, the project Principled design of Learning Classifier
              Systems for challenging large-scale domains invites applications from
              interested students at doctoral training level.

              Learning Classifier Systems (LCS) are robust machine learning techniques
              very suitable for data mining and knowledge discovery. In recent years,
              there has been important research effort in advanced representations,
              search mechanisms, theoretical analysis, etc. However, there are very
              few examples of the application of all these advances to challenging
              large-scale domains. The aim of this project is to engineer a competent
              and robust LCS system specially designed for this kind of domains,
              involving the study of theoretical models of LCS behaviour, proposal of
              new representations, exploration mechanisms and robust policies of
              aplication of the different LCS subsystems.

              Students should have at least an upper second-class honours degree
              (ideally a first class degree), or a combination of qualifications
              and/or experience equivalent to that level. Ideally, students should
              have a BSc or MSc degree in computer science, but those with a
              mathematical background, if they have strong computing skills, are also
              encouraged to apply.

              The student will be based in the Automated Scheduling, Optimisation &
              Planning (ASAP) Group, which is one of four main research groups within
              the School of Computer Science at Nottingham. The School received a
              Grade 5 in the last UK RAE. ASAP has been carrying out innovative
              research into the development and investigation of decision support,
              search methodologies and machine learning for a wide and diverse range
              of real world problem environments for the last 10 years. The group
              comprises nine members of academic staff, 18 researchers, 42 PhD
              students and four administrators.

              Due to funding restrictions, this studentship only provides home tuition
              fees (UK/EU students) and a tax-free stipend of around 12,000 per annum.

              Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr J Bacardit, tel: 0115 846 7044
              or Email: Jaume.Bacardit@....

              Applications, with a detailed CV, a research statement and the names and
              addresses of two referees, should be sent to Ms D Pitchfork, School of
              Computer Science, The University of Nottingham, Jubilee Campus, Wollaton
              Road, Nottingham, NG8 1BB. Tel: 0115 846 6543. Email:
              Deborah.Pitchfork@.... Please quote ref. SCI/499. Closing
              date: 30 September 2008.