Call for papers: Genetic Programming Theory and Practice 2008

  • Rick Riolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8 5:48 AM
      The Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS) at the University
      of Michigan is pleased to be hosting:

      GPTP-2008 -- Sixth Annual Genetic Programming Theory and Practice Workshop
      May 15-17 (Thur-Sat), 2008
      Ann Arbor Michigan USA

      GPTP is a small, one-track, invitation-only workshop devoted to the
      integration of theory and practice. In particular, it focuses on how
      theory can inform practice and what practice reveals about theory.
      Past workshops have invited speakers to discuss theoretical work
      and its value to practitioners of the art, and to review problems and
      observations from practice that challenge existing theory.

      This year we are asking researchers who are interested in being
      invited to present a paper at this Workshop to submit an abstract
      representing the work they would like to present. We will extend a
      limited number of invitations to participate based on these abstracts.

      We especially encourage papers which combine theory with results from
      real-world applications, e.g., papers in which theory is used to guide
      application to real-world problems, and/or results from real-world
      applications that confirm (or contradict) theory. In this vein,
      collaborations between "theorists" and "practitioners" are most
      welcome, since such collaborations are quite rare but they are likely
      to lead to new insights and novel results.

      Some of the questions this workshop is expected to address include:

      * Does the schema (or other analogous) theorem hold for GP, and what
      does this mean for the design and use of GP applications?

      * What are good ways to approach the application of GP to a new
      problem? What are good ways to adjust control parameters within GP?
      Are there heuristics to guide the choice of representation, search
      operators, and so on?

      * What are the "symptoms" of GP pathology (i.e., premature
      convergence, overfitting, etc.)?

      * How universal is the behavior of GP over different problems and data types?

      * What are the good and bad features of GP for problem application?

      * Are there ways to predict whether a problem is "GP tractable?"

      * Application of GP to "real" problems, e.g., applications
      with large amounts of noisy data, or applications in which GP
      must compete with other more accepted approaches.

      Note that while debate between theorists is encouraged, the focus
      should remain on the implications for GP applications. Similarly,
      while "war stories" from application engineers are useful, the choice of
      war stories should be made on the basis of understanding the GP
      mechanisms, either by addressing why a particular approach worked or
      proposing a reason for an unusual behavior.

      To see a list of participants and papers for previous GPTP workshops, visit
      Papers have been published in a series of "Genetic Programming
      Theory and Practice" books, one for each year (by Kluwer/Springer).

      The format of this workshop will be similar to that of the previous
      workshops (GPTP 2003-2007): a relatively small, invitation-only
      workshop on the campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor,
      with plenty of time for discussion of a roughly equal mix of a total
      of 18 papers by theorists and practitioners. In order to facilitate
      a substantial exchange of ideas, workshop talks will be approximately
      30 minutes long, with considerable time allocated for discussion.
      The papers will be reviewed by co-participants prior to the workshop, and
      collected for publication in a book to be published as soon as possible
      after the workshop. As we would like to have the papers available for
      distribution before the workshop, the likely deadline for the submission
      of papers will be mid/late March 2008. Papers will be about 16 pages long.

      If you are interested in having a paper considered for presentation
      at the workshop and included in the book, please send a one-page abstract
      as well as a short CV of the authors to:

      by: 11 January 2008. *** Earlier responses are encouraged ***

      The abstracts will be reviewed and decisions made by 18 January 2008.
      We will select 6-8 proposed papers based on relevance to the GPTP workshop
      goals, the expected quality of the contribution, and how the paper topic
      will fit with the "mix" of other invited and selected papers.

      Note that we will be selecting only high-quality, high-content papers,
      i.e., we are looking for papers that have more depth and breadth than
      typical conference papers.

      Also note there is no "workshop fee" for participation -- the workshop
      is funded by donations from groups and companies interested in
      advancing the art and science of genetic programming.

      If you do anticipate sending an abstract, please let us know as soon
      possible, just so we have a rough idea of how many abstract to expect.

      If you have questions, please email them to gptp-2008@... .

      GPTP-2008 Workshop Organization Committee

      Rick Riolo
      Terry Soule
      Bill Worzel

      Rick Riolo rlriolo@...
      Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
      323 West Hall
      University of Michigan Ann Arbor MI 48109-1107
      Phone: 734 763 3323 Fax: 734 763 9267