Simple genetic algorithm code examples

  • Cansu�i�demAyd�n
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hi Friends,
      Do you have any genetic algorithm code examples that have been implemented any problem.I found a few examples. But these were not clear to understand usage of genetic algorithm in programming language. Theoritically, I understood every cycle in genetic algorithm.But ,it is still not clear in my mind how GA can be converted into code in programming language.I want to apply GA to course scheduling problem.
      Best regards
      Cansu Cigdem Aydin

    • Emyr James
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
        Start by trying to implement something really simple, and do it in an OO
        way.

        For example in one of Dawkins's books he introduces the "Methinks it is
        like a weasel" problem.

        Create a class Genome to represent a candidate solution - in this case a
        string of letters. You can define an alphabet of letters and only use
        characters from that alphabet.

        e.g.

        alphabet="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ ";

        Add methods that mutate the Genome (swap some letters for others),
        calculate the fitness (number of letters that agree with target
        phrase)and which does crossover on two genomes (try single point, two
        point and uniform crossover).

        With these methods you can wrap a GA around your Genome. You'll just
        need to add a selection method - one of the simplest being a 2-way
        tournament (choose 2 random individuals uniformly from the population
        and select the fittest one).

        Once you have this simple problem working, all you need to do is to
        modify the Genome class to make it specific to your problem. The GA
        stuff will be the same regardless.

        Cansu Çiðdem Aydýn wrote:

        > Hi Friends,
        > Do you have any genetic algorithm code examples that have been
        > implemented any problem.I found a few examples. But these were not clear
        > to understand usage of genetic algorithm in programming language.
        > Theoritically, I understood every cycle in genetic algorithm.But ,it is
        > still not clear in my mind how GA can be converted into code in
        > programming language.I want to apply GA to course scheduling problem.
        > Best regards
        > Cansu Cigdem Aydin

      • Ozgur Aksu
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
          Eger delphi tabanlý bir kod istersen ben sana
          gonderebilirim cansu?

          Fakat exe haldemi yoksa dpr(pas) haldemi istiyorsun???

          Ozgur AKSU

          http://sims.yahoo.com/