Racing With Evolutionary Algorithms

  • swarm_of_ants
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2007
      Hello, Friends!

      I would like to invite you to read a post upon a comparison among
      different evolutionary algorithms. See here:

      http://geneticargonaut.blogspot.com/2007/05/racing-with-evolutionary-alg\
      orithms.html
      <http://geneticargonaut.blogspot.com/2007/05/racing-with-evolutionary-al\
      gorithms.html>

      Best Wishes!

      Marcelo

      P.S: The message I had sent earlier had a broken link. Sorry!

    • farid ala
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2007
        Hello friends ...

        This paper introduces a novel numerical stochastic optimization algorithm inspired from colonizing weeds.Weeds are plants whose vigorous, invasive habits of growth pose a serious threat to desirable, cultivated plants making them a threat for agriculture.Weeds have shown to be very robust and adaptive to change in environment. Thus, capturing their properties would lead to a powerful optimization algorithm. It is tried to mimic robustness, adaptation and randomness of colonizing weeds in a simple but effective optimizing algorithm designated as Invasive Weed Optimization (IWO). The feasibility, the efficiency and the effectiveness of IWO are tested in details through a set of benchmark multi-dimensional functions, of which global and local minima are known. The reported results are compared with other recent evolutionary-based algorithms: genetic algorithms, memetic algorithms, particle swarm optimization, and shuffled frog leaping. The results are also compared with
        different versions of simulated annealing — a generic probabilistic meta-algorithm for the global optimization problem — which are simplex simulated annealing, and direct search simulated annealing. Additionally, IWO is employed for finding a solution for an engineering
        problem, which is optimization and tuning of a robust controller. The experimental results suggest that results from IWO are better than results from other methods. In conclusion, the performance of IWO has a reasonable performance for all the test functions.

      • Rafael Amen
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2007
          Sounds interesting. Where can I find the paper?
          TIA
          Rafael

          --- In genetic_programming@yahoogroups.com, farid ala
          <farid_persian@...> wrote:

          > Hello friends ...
          >
          > This paper introduces a novel numerical stochastic optimization
          algorithm inspired from colonizing weeds.Weeds are plants whose
          vigorous, invasive habits of growth pose a serious threat to
          desirable, cultivated plants making them a threat for
          agriculture.Weeds have shown to be very robust and adaptive to change
          in environment. Thus, capturing their properties would lead to a
          powerful optimization algorithm. It is tried to mimic robustness,
          adaptation and randomness of colonizing weeds in a simple but
          effective optimizing algorithm designated as Invasive Weed
          Optimization (IWO). The feasibility, the efficiency and the
          effectiveness of IWO are tested in details through a set of benchmark
          multi-dimensional functions, of which global and local minima are
          known. The reported results are compared with other recent
          evolutionary-based algorithms: genetic algorithms, memetic algorithms,
          particle swarm optimization, and shuffled frog leaping. The results
          are also compared with
          > different versions of simulated annealing â€" a generic
          probabilistic meta-algorithm for the global optimization problem â€"
          which are simplex simulated annealing, and direct search simulated
          annealing. Additionally, IWO is employed for finding a solution for an
          engineering
          > problem, which is optimization and tuning of a robust controller.
          The experimental results suggest that results from IWO are better than
          results from other methods. In conclusion, the performance of IWO has
          a reasonable performance for all the test functions.
        • satya_it10
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2007
            --- In genetic_programming@yahoogroups.com, "swarm_of_ants"

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007