Re: [GP] Re: javascript vs. java

    Message 1 of 23 , May 29, 2007
      It has been my experience (in various optimized code I write) that
      compared to Java, and ignoring startup time:

      - Well-optimized scheme is about 5 times slower at best. Actually
      I've found hand-hacked Kawa to be fastest for stuff I do (about 2x
      slower) as it has options to add explicit typing.

      - Python is almost exactly 10 times slower, except when I customize
      it for certain applications by dropping down to C (or when Numerical
      Python is (rarely) helpful). psyco only helps a little bit.

      - Ruby is 30 about times slower

      - JavaScript (SpiderMonkey) is often over 50 times slower

      I still use dynamic languages for lots of stuff. They're extremely
      convenient tools for the right purposes. But if efficiency is your
      primary goal (as is often the case in GP evaluations), you might wish
      to look elsewhere.

      Sean
    • Jurosz Michal
      Message 2 of 23 , May 30, 2007
        I still believe in Parrot VM (register-based virtual machine)
        http://www.parrotcode.org/
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrot_virtual_machine

        It is not optimized well yet.

        Some old benchmarks (Parrot 0.4.6, August 9, 2006):
        http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/sandbox/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=parrot&lang2=java

        parrot-lgp (linear genetic programming implementation for Parrot virtual
        machine) is optimized for fun (-Ofun) now :-).

        http://pr.perl6.cz/parrot-lgp

        Some interesting notes about Parrot VM:
        * Loadable opcode libraries
        http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000409.html
        * All those opcodes
        http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000404.html
        * Fast interpretation
        http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000405.html
        * another Perl 6 and Parrot links
        http://perl6.cz/wiki/Perl_6_and_Parrot_links

        --
        S pozdravem Michal Jurosz
      • Marcus G. Daniels
        Message 3 of 23 , May 30, 2007
          Here's a new document on the Tamarin instruction set...

          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/articles/avm2overview.pdf
        • satya_it10
          Message 4 of 23 , May 31, 2007
            --- In genetic_programming@yahoogroups.com, "Marcus G. Daniels"
            <mgd@...> wrote:

            > Here's a new document on the Tamarin instruction set...
            >
            > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/articles/avm2overview.pdf
            >plz help me in constrained optimisation using ga
            plz send me some matlab coding regarding to constrained optimisation
            using ga

            satyaveer singh
            india