Re: {Disarmed} [GP] javascript Re: Discipulus GP Software Recommendations?

  • Marcus G. Daniels
    Message 1 of 23 , May 29, 2007
      jmerelo666 wrote:

      > Interpreted JS is not to slow, and, in fact, I would expect some kind
      > of pre-compliation to a bytecode (similar to Java) actually happening
      > in most browsers.

      Firefox's Spidermonkey does have bytecode representation, but it doesn't
      have just in time compiler (JIT) as a Java virtual machine will in most
      cases.
      That's what Tamarin is supposed to add to Firefox.

      Another platform to think about is Silverlight (and Mono's Moonlight).
      There the bytecode will be JIT'ed CIL with extensions for dynamic languages.
      http://blogs.msdn.com/hugunin/archive/2007/04/30/a-dynamic-language-runtime-dlr.aspx
      Message 2 of 23 , May 29, 2007
        It has been my experience (in various optimized code I write) that
        compared to Java, and ignoring startup time:

        - Well-optimized scheme is about 5 times slower at best. Actually
        I've found hand-hacked Kawa to be fastest for stuff I do (about 2x
        slower) as it has options to add explicit typing.

        - Python is almost exactly 10 times slower, except when I customize
        it for certain applications by dropping down to C (or when Numerical
        Python is (rarely) helpful). psyco only helps a little bit.

        - Ruby is 30 about times slower

        - JavaScript (SpiderMonkey) is often over 50 times slower

        I still use dynamic languages for lots of stuff. They're extremely
        convenient tools for the right purposes. But if efficiency is your
        primary goal (as is often the case in GP evaluations), you might wish
        to look elsewhere.

        Sean
      • Jurosz Michal
        Message 3 of 23 , May 30, 2007
          I still believe in Parrot VM (register-based virtual machine)
          http://www.parrotcode.org/
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrot_virtual_machine

          It is not optimized well yet.

          Some old benchmarks (Parrot 0.4.6, August 9, 2006):
          http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/sandbox/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=parrot&lang2=java

          parrot-lgp (linear genetic programming implementation for Parrot virtual
          machine) is optimized for fun (-Ofun) now :-).

          http://pr.perl6.cz/parrot-lgp

          Some interesting notes about Parrot VM:
          * Loadable opcode libraries
          http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000409.html
          * All those opcodes
          http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000404.html
          * Fast interpretation
          http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000405.html
          * another Perl 6 and Parrot links
          http://perl6.cz/wiki/Perl_6_and_Parrot_links

          --
          S pozdravem Michal Jurosz
        • Marcus G. Daniels
          Message 4 of 23 , May 30, 2007
            Here's a new document on the Tamarin instruction set...

            http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/articles/avm2overview.pdf
          • satya_it10
            Message 5 of 23 , May 31, 2007
              --- In genetic_programming@yahoogroups.com, "Marcus G. Daniels"
              <mgd@...> wrote:

              > Here's a new document on the Tamarin instruction set...
              >
              > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/articles/avm2overview.pdf
              >plz help me in constrained optimisation using ga
              plz send me some matlab coding regarding to constrained optimisation
              using ga

              satyaveer singh
              india