Re: [GP] GP and dimensionality reduction!

  • Bob MacCallum
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2007
      hi,

      you might also want to search for "feature selection" since is another
      way of looking at the problem
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_selection

      bob

      On 1/9/07, adil raja <adilraja@...> wrote:
      > Hi group,
      > Can someone kindly point to some literature on 'The role Genetic programming in dimensionality reduction'. I am working on a problem in which the dimensionality of the data is quite high (around 50 independent variables). I am working in the symbolic regression domain.
      >
      > Regards,

    • Christian Setzkorn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2007
        Or feature extraction (combine several features), to make data, for example,
        linearly separable (SVM).

        HTH,

        Chris

        you might also want to search for "feature selection" since is another
        way of looking at the problem
        HYPERLINK
        "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_selection"http://en.wikipedia-.org/wik
        i/-Feature_selectio-n

        bob

        On 1/9/07, adil raja <HYPERLINK
        "mailto:adilraja%40yahoo.com"adilraja@yahoo.-com> wrote:
        > Hi group,
        > Can someone kindly point to some literature on 'The role Genetic
        programming in dimensionality reduction'. I am working on a problem in which
        the dimensionality of the data is quite high (around 50 independent
        variables). I am working in the symbolic regression domain.

        > Regards,

      • Frank Francone
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2007
          Dear Adil:

          Discipulus can help you with this. Download the demo from
          www.aimlearning.com. Find the owners manual after installing and read
          the sections relating to the Input Impacts reports page. It goes into a
          fair amount of detail about how we assess which inputs played a role in
          generating good solutions.

          Frank Francone

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2007
            Frank,
            Thanks indeed I am already on it.
            The wikipedia page (link sent by someone earlier) also led to useful literature.

            Regards,

            Can someone kindly point to some literature on 'The role Genetic
            programming in dimensionality reduction'. I am working on a problem in
            which the dimensionality of the data is quite high (around 50
            independent variables). I am working in the symbolic regression domain.

            Regards,

            Do You Yahoo!?
            http://mail. yahoo.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Langdon W B
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2007
              > Hi group,
              > Can someone kindly point to some literature on 'The role Genetic programm
              > ing in dimensionality reduction'. I am working on a problem in which the dim
              > ensionality of the data is quite high (around 50 independent variables). I a
              > m working in the symbolic regression domain.
              >
              > Regards,

              You might like;-)
              Genetic Programming for Mining DNA Chip data from Cancer Patients,
              W. B. Langdon and B. F. Buxton, Genetic Programming and Evolvable
              Machines, 5 (3): 251-257, September 2004.

              You could also look for work under keywords like
              "variable selection" in the GP bibliography
              www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/

              Bill

              W. B. Langdon,
              Mathematical Sciences,