Objective Function

  • gaya79
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2006
      Hi...

      I am currently studying on how to create an objective function that
      can cluster matrices...I would like to know how do we start to
      construct an objective function from scratch?
      Thank you.
    • Alexandre Devert
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2006
        Hi

        Designing a fitness, it's like cooking. Some
        guidelines :
        * Let's says you want to maximize an unique
        objective
        * Trivia : If you have two individuals A and B with
        A is better than B, fitness(A) > fitness(B)
        * A cliff-like fitness landscape is not good, smooth
        slopes are good.
        * Try severals ideas ;)
        * When trying your fitness measures, you must
        carefully the best individuals. Sometimes, non valid
        are found due to a bad defined fitness. As instance,
        when evolving robots controlers, the evolution could
        find the teleportation technology, by tweaking a not
        carefully designed robot simulator.

        --- gaya79 <gaya79@...> a écrit :

        > Hi...
        >
        > I am currently studying on how to create an
        > objective function that
        > can cluster matrices...I would like to know how do
        > we start to
        > construct an objective function from scratch?
        > Thank you.

        _______________________________
        Marmakoide aka Alexandre Devert
        _______________________________

        p3.vert.ukl.yahoo.com uncompressed/chunked Mon Sep 4 04:24:06 GMT 2006

        http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
      • Conor Ryan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2006
          Postdoctoral and PhD Positions available at the University of Limerick

          The Biocomputing and Developmental Systems (BDS) group at the
          University of Limerick has recently received significant funding from
          the Science Foundation of Ireland and Lero, the Irish Software
          Engineering Research Centre. We are pleased to announce the
          availability of ONE Postdoctoral position and SEVERAL PhD
          scholarships.

          The post doctoral position would suit someone with a PhD in either
          Genetic Programming OR Software Testing. The salary scale is approx
          EUR 35,800 - EUR 39,000 and the position will be appointed for a
          minimum of twelve months.

          The PhD scholarships are for three years and are worth approximately
          EUR 24,000 per annum. Applications are invited from candidates with an
          MSc or first class honours BSc in either Computer Science or
          Mathematics.

          The BDS group is a multi-disciplinary research group composed of
          researchers from Computer Science, Engineering, Biology, Medicine and
          Mathematics, and is the group that introduced the popular Grammatical
          Evolution automatic programming system.

          Application forms and further details of the application procedure are
          available from Lorraine Morgan (Lorraine.Morgan@... or Tel: +353 61
          203709). Closing date for receipt of applications is 8 December 2006. For
          informal discussion, contact Conor Ryan (email: Conor.Ryan@...).

          Links :

          BDS Group : http://bds.ul.ie
          Lero : http://www.lero.ie