Re: [GP] Request for help testing GP co-author graphics

  • Langdon W B
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2006
      > 1. Very interesting! Bill, I can't figure out what the function is
      > which defines the locations of the dots. Could you elaborate for us?

      Dear Sean,
      Many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply about:
      http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-coauthors/index.html

      The graphs are created by graphviz' neato.
      www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/
      It tries to lay out the graph nicely, ie without stretching edges
      too much or with too many lines overlapping each other.

      > 2. What is the meaning of the graph that has no edges on it, just
      > dots of different sizes arrayed in a grid? What is the difference
      > between black and white dots? The very large center dot appears to
      > contain numerous people, sort of a Being John Malkovich thing!

      The top level graph is a summary of the whole bibliography.
      Each dot represents a connected subgraph (ie a bunch of people and
      their papers which have GP co-authors in common). The size of the dots
      is proportional to the number of entries in the bibliography.

      The fact their are so many dots is due to many singletons.
      Ie small groups who have published only a few papers together.

      I did not generate a graph for each case. In most cases the graphs
      would be quite trivial, linking together only 3 or 4 people. And there
      would have been hundreds of such graphs. Instead I applied an
      (arbitrary) cut off and only generated graphs with more than 15
      co-authors. These are indicated by red! Clicking on red dots pulls up
      the corresponding subgraph.

      Approx half of us are in the big red "John Malkovich" in the middle.

      > 3. Unfortunately, the program doesn't appear to run properly on
      > Safari. Works on Firefox on the Mac.

      Does anybody with access to JavaScript on Safari fancy porting it?

      Bill

      > Sean
      >
      > On Feb 15, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Langdon W B wrote:
      >
      > > I have put a beta version which shows links between GP co-authors at
      > > http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/gp-coauthors/index.html
      > >
      > > If you have a moment to test it, I would welcome constructive
      > > comments.
      > >
      > > Thank you
      > >
      > > Bill
      > >
      > > Ps: I would also like help with adding and correcting the GP-bib.
      > > Please send _full_ citations (prefereably in BibTeX).
      > >

      > > W. B. Langdon,
      > > Computer Science,
      > > University of Essex
      > > Wivenhoe Park,
      > > Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK
      > > http://www.cs.essex.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/
      > > Spam blocking gmail
      > > Foundations of Genetic Programming
      > > http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/FOGP
      > > EuroGP Budapest 2006 http://www.evonet.info/eurogp2006
    • Bob MacCallum
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 16, 2006
        it took me a little while to figure it out but the dots represent graphs
        that don't connect to any other. the red ones are ones that actually have
        edges, the black ones are unconnected authors (correct me if I'm wrong).

        interesting view of the community - should be useful for prospective
        graduate students to see who's who - thanks Bill!

        On 2/16/06, Sean Luke <sean@...> wrote:

        > On Feb 16, 2006, at 9:27 AM, Sean Luke wrote:
        >
        > > What is the difference between black and white dots?
        >
        > er, "black and red".
        >
        > Sean
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Langdon W B
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
          Dear Steve,
          Oh... its does, well it should do, it does on my machine.
          Which browser are you using?
          Placing the cursor over a dot should give the page to which it will jump
          (should you click) this usually includes the name of the author
          plus, after the #, the number of papers and number of co-authors.
          This uses the url not the alt text. I dont know if it could use alt.

          I guess its not as easy to use as I had hoped. I will expand the text
          description below the top graph.

          Bill

        • Langdon W B
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
            Following suggestions I have made a number of changes:

            Per author pages containing all GP entries for that author
            (replaces just for first author).

            neato weights and edge lengths changed
            to give more stable co-authorship graphs.

            http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/

            Bill

            W. B. Langdon, Phone +44-1206-873291
            Computer Science, Fax: +44-1206-872788
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2006
              Hey, now I'm even further away from the center! :-)

              Nice to see it working in Safari. Very cool.

              Sean