Re: [GP] Museum of unintended consequences

  • Bill Worzel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
      Russ,

      Do you want these suggestions on the wiki or here?

      Bill

      On 1/1/06 2:41 AM, "Russ Abbott" <Russ.Abbott@...> wrote:

      > I have begun a set of wiki pages on which I would like to collect unintended
      > consequences. I'd like to encourage anyone to contribute to the
      > collection.
      >
      > It appears that the notion of unintended consequences is not quite as
      > straightforward as I had originally imagined. As the page says, the original
      > thought was that an unintended consequence occurs when something unexpected
      > and unintended occurs as *a result of the establishment of a mechanism or
      > formalism*—such as a law, a rule, a regulation, or even a custom or the
      > adoption of an ethical or moral precept. Presumably the mechanism or
      > formalism was established with the intent of achieving some particular
      > positive result or reducing or eliminating something that is considered
      > negative. The unintended consequence is almost always different from that
      > end and in many cases may be contrary to it.
      >
      > Any suggestions about what should and what should not count as an unintended
      > consequence are welcome. Examples of unintended consequences, especially
      > ones that are striking in their interest and surprise value are also
      > welcome.
      >
      > Happy New Year.
      >
      > -- Russ Abbott
      > Professor, Computer Science
      > California State University, Los Angeles
      > o Check out my blog at http://russabbott.blogspot.com/
      >
      > A religious act is performed out of good motivation and with sincere thought
      > for the benefit of others.
      >
      > This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated
      > philosophy.
      >
      > Your own mind, your own heart is the temple; your philosophy is simple
      > kindness.
      > -- The Dalai Lama

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • russabbott1942
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
        I apologize. Apparently I forgot to include the web address for the
        Museum of Unintended Consequences. I really do invite your
        participation at:
        http://cs.calstatela.edu/~wiki/index.php/Courses/CS_461/Museum_of_unin
        tended_consequences

        -- Russ

[...]