Museum of unintended consequences

  • Russ Abbott
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2005
      I have begun a set of wiki pages on which I would like to collect unintended
      consequences. I'd like to encourage anyone to contribute to the
      collection.

      It appears that the notion of unintended consequences is not quite as
      straightforward as I had originally imagined. As the page says, the original
      thought was that an unintended consequence occurs when something unexpected
      and unintended occurs as *a result of the establishment of a mechanism or
      formalism*�such as a law, a rule, a regulation, or even a custom or the
      adoption of an ethical or moral precept. Presumably the mechanism or
      formalism was established with the intent of achieving some particular
      positive result or reducing or eliminating something that is considered
      negative. The unintended consequence is almost always different from that
      end and in many cases may be contrary to it.

      Any suggestions about what should and what should not count as an unintended
      consequence are welcome. Examples of unintended consequences, especially
      ones that are striking in their interest and surprise value are also
      welcome.

      Happy New Year.

      -- Russ Abbott
      Professor, Computer Science
      o Check out my blog at http://russabbott.blogspot.com/

      A religious act is performed out of good motivation and with sincere thought
      for the benefit of others.

      This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated
      philosophy.

      Your own mind, your own heart is the temple; your philosophy is simple
      kindness.
      -- The Dalai Lama

    • Bill Worzel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
        Russ,

        Do you want these suggestions on the wiki or here?

        Bill

        On 1/1/06 2:41 AM, "Russ Abbott" <Russ.Abbott@...> wrote:

        > I have begun a set of wiki pages on which I would like to collect unintended
        > consequences. I'd like to encourage anyone to contribute to the
        > collection.
        >
        > It appears that the notion of unintended consequences is not quite as
        > straightforward as I had originally imagined. As the page says, the original
        > thought was that an unintended consequence occurs when something unexpected
        > and unintended occurs as *a result of the establishment of a mechanism or
        > formalism*—such as a law, a rule, a regulation, or even a custom or the
        > adoption of an ethical or moral precept. Presumably the mechanism or
        > formalism was established with the intent of achieving some particular
        > positive result or reducing or eliminating something that is considered
        > negative. The unintended consequence is almost always different from that
        > end and in many cases may be contrary to it.
        >
        > Any suggestions about what should and what should not count as an unintended
        > consequence are welcome. Examples of unintended consequences, especially
        > ones that are striking in their interest and surprise value are also
        > welcome.
        >
        > Happy New Year.
        >
        > -- Russ Abbott
        > Professor, Computer Science
        > California State University, Los Angeles
        > o Check out my blog at http://russabbott.blogspot.com/
        >
        > A religious act is performed out of good motivation and with sincere thought
        > for the benefit of others.
        >
        > This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated
        > philosophy.
        >
        > Your own mind, your own heart is the temple; your philosophy is simple
        > kindness.
        > -- The Dalai Lama

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Luis Guillermo RESTREPO RIVAS
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
          Dear Professor,

          I think that your message to this group, and also the "Museum", both may
          have unintended consequences.

          :)

          Luis Guillermo RESTREPO RIVAS

          ---
          [This E-mail was scanned for viruses]
        • russabbott1942
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
            I apologize. Apparently I forgot to include the web address for the
            Museum of Unintended Consequences. I really do invite your
            participation at:
            http://cs.calstatela.edu/~wiki/index.php/Courses/CS_461/Museum_of_unin
            tended_consequences

            -- Russ