RE: [GP] expression help

  • Alexandre Devert
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      GP -> evolution of programs. An easy way to evolve
      programs is to evolve a tree, were the nodes are
      operations like +, -, sin, div. To evolve a program
      you must choose a computing model : trees,
      stack-based, etc... an then you evolve sentences from
      this computing model.

      Good article this place
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_programming

      --- Will Sturgis <cassiniovals@...> a écrit :

      ---------------------------------
      I am new to gp and need some hints on how to evolve
      expressions. I have a fair amount of experience with
      genetic algorithms, but I am having trouble making the
      leap from finding a value and finding an equation.

      I downloaded PerlGP, found PI, and some other
      constants, so I know it works correctly.

      My internet searches have not yielded very much, but
      maybe I am not looking in the right place.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      -Will

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------

      _______________________________
      Marmakoide aka Alexandre Devert
      _______________________________

    • Bob MacCallum
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hi Will,

        Sorry for the delay - I started a new job this week. I can certainly help
        you with PerlGP, since I wrote it! But we can do that off-list. First, take
        a look at the "How it all works" section of the manual. It goes through an
        example doing symbolic regression of a sine function (an expression/equation
        of 'x' is produced).
        http://perlgp.org/docs/manual/manual/node11.html

        Note that in the sin(x) example, the data files (train.dat and test.dat) are
        generated on-the-fly because I did resampling and other tricks. You will
        probably want to read in static data, and that is no problem - just remove
        the 'refresh' method.

        Anyway, as I said, I'm happy to help!

        cheers,
        Bob

        > ---------------------------------
        > I am new to gp and need some hints on how to evolve
        > expressions. I have a fair amount of experience with
        > genetic algorithms, but I am having trouble making the
        > leap from finding a value and finding an equation.
        >
        > I downloaded PerlGP, found PI, and some other
        > constants, so I know it works correctly.
        >
        > My internet searches have not yielded very much, but
        > maybe I am not looking in the right place.
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > -Will

      • corvusanima
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2005
          > GP -> evolution of programs. An easy way to evolve
          > programs is to evolve a tree, were the nodes are
          > operations like +, -, sin, div. To evolve a program
          > you must choose a computing model : trees,
          > stack-based, etc... an then you evolve sentences from
          > this computing model.

          And additionnaly, if you need reasonable speed, stack-based is
          generally faster. There is a C implementation called XCLE of a generic
          stack-based interpreter, where you can choose the primitives (i.e.
          nodes) you want to use, or implement yours... In google, first result
          should be the FSF entry for XCLE.
          But of course, perlPG is a lot more flexible, if possibly a bit
          slower. You can't beat Perl at that.