GP for variable selection in Regression

  • rams_19in
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2005
      Can some help me with the application of GP for variable selection in
      Linear regression..
    • raju bhAI
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
        if u wanted a paper u could have got it from me, i have it with me since long,

        ram

        ---------------------------------

      • Langdon W B
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 25, 2005
          Just to let you know Steven and I have a paper which,
          amongst other things, discusses GP in the pharmaceutical industry
          at the current WSC10 conference (September 19th - October 7th).

          "Advances in the Application of Machine Learning Techniques in Drug
          Discovery, Design and Development"
          S J Barrett and W B Langdon GlaxoSmithKline

          Abstract
          Pharmaceutical discovery and development is a cascade of extremely
          complex and costly research encompassing many facets from:
          therapeutic target identification and bioinformatics study,
          candidate drug discovery and optimisation to pre-clinical
          organism-level evaluations and beyond to extensive clinical trials
          assessing effectiveness and safety of new medicines. Machine
          learning, in particular support vector machines SVM, particle swarm
          optimisation PSO and genetic programming GP, is increasingly used.

          WSC10 is a free online conference.
          You need to register, eg via
          http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/wsc10/
          first. Then go to "Design".

          http://isxp1010c.sims.cranfield.ac.uk/Papers/paper196.pdf
          142 Kbytes
          http://isxp1010c.sims.cranfield.ac.uk/Presentations/presentation196.pdf
          slides (1Mbyte)

          We would welcome any comments or discussion points via the
          "View/Post messages" button below the article.

          Bill
        • Langdon W B
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
            > Can some help me with the application of GP for variable selection in
            > Linear regression..

            You might be interested in
            Genetic Programming for Mining DNA Chip data from Cancer Patients,
            W. B. Langdon and B. F. Buxton, Genetic Programming and Evolvable
            Machines, 5 (3): 251-257, September 2004
            http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/ftp/papers/wbl_dnachip.pdf

            Also the GP bibliography http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/
            has many papers on variable selection.

            Bill

            W. B. Langdon,
            Computer Science,
            University of Essex
            Wivenhoe Park,
            Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK
            http://www.cs.essex.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/
            Spam blocking gmail,eurostar,earthlink,goldmedal,iasted,etc
            Foundations of Genetic Programming
            http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/FOGP
            Evolving L-systems http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/pfeiffer.html
            EuroGP Budapest 2006 http://www.evonet.info/eurogp2006