PhD Studentship in Brain-Computer Interfaces at Essex

  • Riccardo Poli
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2005

      I'm one of the co-founders of the BCI group here at Essex, and I
      thought the announcement below might be of interest to people in this
      list. Recently we have used Genetic Algorithms, and plan to use
      Genetic Programming, in BCI applications as well as neuro-psychologic
      modelling of brain activity. So, the topic of the PhD could be an
      interesting N-parent recombination of BCI, neurosciences, cognitive
      psychology and evolutionary computation or any subset of the above :-)

      I'd be either principal supervisor or co-supervisor for the PhD
      student.

      Many thanks.

      Riccardo

      Prof Riccardo Poli E-mail: rpoli@...
      Department of Computer Science Room Number: 4B.524
      University of Essex Telephone: (01206) 872338
      Wivenhoe Park Facsimile: (01206) 872788
      Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK http://cswww.essex.ac.uk/staff/rpoli/

      EPSRC funded PhD Studentship in Brain-Computer Interfaces
      University of Essex

      The Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCI) group in the Department of
      Computer Science at the University of Essex invites applications for
      one full PhD studentship funded by the EPSRC for research on BCIs.
      Applicants for this funding must be either Home or EU students.
      Overseas students are not eligible for this studentship.

      Outstanding applicants from all areas of science and engineering will
      be considered, but preference will be given to applicants with a
      background in one or more of the following: pattern recognition,
      signal processing, machine learning, biomedical engineering, and
      neuroscience.

      The BCI group has a new large BCI laboratory with 3 experimental areas
      and state of the art equipment funded by a SRIF 3 grant of over a
      quarter of a million pounds. The new facilities, to open in
      September, are among the best in Europe.

      For more information about the group and our projects, please visit
      http://cswww.essex.ac.uk/Research/BCIs/

      The studentship is for up to 3 years, starting on 1st October 2005 or
      as soon thereafter as possible. The studentship for Home students
      includes payment of all fees (£3085.00 per annum), plus a stipend for
      living expenses (£12,000.00 per annum) for the 2005-2006 academic
      year, with renewal for a further two years being subject to good
      progress. Due to EPSRC regulations, EU students are only entitled to
      payment of the fees but not to living expenses. Any non-UK applicants
      would, therefore, be required to provide proof of funding (e.g., a
      studentship from their own country) to cover for living expenses.

      Application forms are available from
      http://cswww.essex.ac.uk/prospectivestudents/research/applications.htm
      .

      Please indicate that you are applying for the BCI PhD studentship in
      your application form.

      For queries on application procedures, please write to
      csgradoffice@....

      Closing date for applications: 5 September 2005.