RE: [GP] GP engine for getting started

  • Greg Paperin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 26 11:43 PM
      Try www.jaga.org

    • emperorxlii
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27 8:14 AM
        Not to toot my own horn, but you might want to check out my project
        here: http://gpe.sourceforge.net/ And I would be happy to answer any
        of your questions as you get started using it (assuming it fits your
        needs :).

        And good luck with ECJ, too. I've heard it's a pretty solid program.

        ~ Paul

        --- In genetic_programming@yahoogroups.com, Yun Wang <ywang80@g...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
          Hi Yun. You have not set your CLASSPATH correctly: you need to put the
          'ec' directory in your CLASSPATH. Should be an easy fix. If this is
          confusing, you'll want to read up on Java CLASSPATHS: because you'll have
          the same problem with most other Java-based EC systems as well.

          That being said, ECJ has a steep learning curve and so if you're new to
          Java, you may want to look at other packages. The ECJ web page has a
          number of other Java-based GP packages; besides the suggestions given so
          far you may also want to look at the (C-based) lilgp.

          Sean
        • Langdon W B
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2005
            A quick reminder; the current issue of GP+EM includes pointers to GP systems.

            Bill

            W. B. Langdon and S. Gustafson,
            "Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines: Five Years of Reviews",
            Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines, June 2005, pp. 221-228.
            http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=104755
            DOI: 10.1007/s10710-005-6165-9
            ftp://cs.ucl.ac.uk/genetic/papers/gppubs5.pdf

            > Not to toot my own horn, but you might want to check out my project
            > here: http://gpe.sourceforge.net/ And I would be happy to answer any
            > of your questions as you get started using it (assuming it fits your
            > needs :).
            >
            > And good luck with ECJ, too. I've heard it's a pretty solid program.
            >
            > ~ Paul
            >

            > --- In genetic_programming@yahoogroups.com, Yun Wang <ywang80@g...>
            > wrote:
            > > Hello, I am looking for an easy GP engine to get started with. I've
            > > tried a few different engines, but have yet been successful at
            > > getting them up and running. Any help would be appreciated.
            > >
            > > One of the engines I've tried is the ECJ engine and I seem to be
            > > having some issues with the make file in that it's not finding the
            > > ec and ec.util packages (several other packages as well) in
            > > SOURCEPATH. I haven't found any information on what I need to set
            > > for that variable. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please
            > > drop me a line.
            > >
            > > Found 1 semantic error compiling "simple/SimpleBreeder.java":
            > >
            > > 9. import ec.util.*;
            > > ^-----^
            > > *** Semantic Error: You need to modify your classpath, sourcepath,
            > > bootclasspath, and/or extdirs setup. Jikes could not find package
            > > "ec.util" in:
            > > /home/xarien/jdk1.5.0_04/lib/dt.jar
            > > /home/xarien/jdk1.5.0_04/jre/lib/javaws.jar
            > > /home/xarien/jdk1.5.0_04/jre/lib/rt.jar
            > > .
            > > /home/xarien/ecj/ec
            > > /home/xarien/ecj/ec/
            > > /home/xarien/ecj/ec/app
            > > /home/xarien/ecj/ec/util
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Yun Wang
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genetic_programming/message/3502
          • Peter Day
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 7, 2005
              If you're familiar with / have access to matlab, I would take a look at
              gplab - a GP toolbox for matlab by Sara Silva (good work by the way):
              gplab.sourceforge.net

              Matlab is very quick to code / debug in and the examples provided get
              you started really quickly. Also Matlabs plotting tools and runtime
              environment make it trivial to analyse results.
              I still use this (albeit severly hacked) to do a lot of my prototyping
              before full evaluation in an ECJ spinoff.