GECCO Developmental Systems Competition

  • Lucas, Simon M
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2005
      The Developmental Systems Competition for GECCO 2005

      We have the following entrants scheduled to demonstrate their
      systems, starting at 4:35, Sunday 26 June in the SEEDS Workshop.

      Michal Bidlo
      Alberto Gallini
      Greg Hornby
      Julian Miller

      The challenge is to provide a novel demonstration of an evolved
      developmental system.
      The demonstration should consist of a 2 minute video or software run
      showing your
      system grow an interesting artefact.

      This is very open-ended, but the main judging criteria are as follows:

      * Novelty
      * Mathematical elegance and simplicity
      * New formalism
      * Regenerative ability (damage repair)
      * Biological plausibility (not essential)
      * Lifecycle (can your system grow seeds for the next generation...)
      * Applications (does it solve some problem better than a
      non-developmental system?)
      * Artistic merit - wow factor
      * Emergence
      * Evolvability

      The winner will be decided by a workshop audience vote.

      http://cswww.essex.ac.uk/staff/sml/gecco/DevComp.html

      Best regards,

      Simon Lucas