Re: [GP] Online version of GEP book: 7th and last chapter

  • Loganathan.G
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29 4:43 PM
      Thanks Dr. Ferriera for making avialble your book online..

      G.Loganathan

    • dennis petkiewicz
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2005
        Candida... I enjoyed it immensely.

        Don't know if you caught the recent Scientific
        American article re: alternative splicing on the human
        genome. This capability allows for the ability of 25k
        genes to produce 90k+ proteins. The alternative
        splicing selectively includes, skips or excludes DNA
        pairs outside of the normal coding region to produce
        different proteins.

        From a GP standpoint, it appears another way to fold
        semantics into the genome. The splicing algorithm is
        controlled through signaling within the cell, and
        ultimately throughout the expression/suppression of
        other gene segments.

        --- Candida Ferreira

        http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/gep/Books/index.asp

        http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/author.asp

        > GEP: Mathematical Modeling by an Artificial
        > Intelligence

        http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/gep/Books/index.asp
        > Modeling Software
        > http://www.gepsoft.com/gepsoft/
        > Get APS 3.0 Std free with
        > the book!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Candida Ferreira
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2005
          Hi Dennis,

          It wouldn't be difficult to implement splicing in GEP, although a little bit
          messy. For that you'd have to create interrupted genes just to get things
          that are much more easily obtained by exploring other processes such as the
          cellular system implemented in GEP which is an elegant way of implementing
          ADFs and reusing code. See the section "Cells and the evolution of linking
          funtions" of my book for more details:

          http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/gep/GepBook/Chapter2/Section2/SS3
          .htm

          Cheers,
          Candida

          ---
          Candida Ferreira, Ph.D.
          Chief Scientist, Gepsoft
          http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/author.asp

          GEP: Mathematical Modeling by an Artificial Intelligence
          http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/gep/Books/index.asp
          Modeling Software
          http://www.gepsoft.com/gepsoft/
          Get APS 3.0 Std free with the book!

        • Rod Ruggiero
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2005
            Hello Candida,

            Thank you for putting your book on line. I read it as a newbie, without
            much understanding of the theory. However, I think I can put it to
            practical use. Am I wrong in thinking that GEP would be useful for
            something as mundane as working out how many of each items a retailer might
            want to purchase, minimizing costs, without over-stocking and without
            running out?

            Thanks.
            Rod
          • Candida Ferreira
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2005
              Rod Ruggiero wrote:

              > Hello Candida,
              >
              > Thank you for putting your book on line. I read it as a newbie, without
              > much understanding of the theory. However, I think I can put it to
              > practical use. Am I wrong in thinking that GEP would be useful for
              > something as mundane as working out how many of each items a
              > retailer might
              > want to purchase, minimizing costs, without over-stocking and without
              > running out?
              >
              > Thanks.
              > Rod

              Yes, it would. Take a look at:

              http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/gep/GepBook/Chapter4/Section3/Int
              roduction.htm

              And by the way, I'm glad you read the book. Good luck in putting it to good
              use!

              Cheers,
              Candida

              ---