GP in industry

  • Varun Aggarwal
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
      Hello people

      I have been for long trying to unearth references to use of GA/GP in the industry. I am not sure, but I think the yardstick to measure the promise/maturity of a field is it usefulness in the industry (ofcourse barring pure sciences!).

      Any references would be extemely enlightening.

      Regards
      Varun
      www.geocities.com/mumukshu

    • Martin C. Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
        Icosystem has been using it (www.icosystem.com), but I don't know if
        they've published anything about it.

        - Martin

      • cem.baydar@accenture.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
          You can take a look at the presentations published at the last year's
          Evolutionary Computation in Industry Track at the GECCO for references.
          Another major company in this area is NuTech Solutions
          (www.nutechsolutions.com)

          -Cem

          I have been for long trying to unearth references to use of GA/GP in the
          industry. I am not sure, but I think the yardstick to measure the
          promise/maturity of a field is it usefulness in the industry (ofcourse
          barring pure sciences!).

          Any references would be extemely enlightening.

          Regards
          Varun
          www.geocities.com/mumukshu

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gwoing Yu
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004

            Two books might be helpful:

            Genetic Programming Theory and Practice, R. Riolo and
            B. Worzel, Kluwer, 2003.

            Genetic Programming Theory and Practice II, U-M
            O'Reilly, T. Yu, R. Riolo and B. Worzel, Kluwer, 2004.

            Tina

            Tina Yu, Ph.D
            ChevronTexaco Information Technology Company
            San Ramon, CA 94583
            http://www.improvise.ws
            --- Varun Aggarwal <varun.aggarwal@...> wrote:

            > Hello people
            >
            > I have been for long trying to unearth references to
            > use of GA/GP in the industry. I am not sure, but I
            > think the yardstick to measure the promise/maturity
            > of a field is it usefulness in the industry
            > (ofcourse barring pure sciences!).
            >
            > Any references would be extemely enlightening.
            >
            > Regards
            > Varun
            > www.geocities.com/mumukshu

            > removed]

          • Li Gang
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
              Recent Developments in Evolutionary Computation for Manufacturing
              Optimization: Problems, solutions, and comparisons.

              Sincerely yours,
              Li Gang

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2004
                Hello,

                I intend to teach GP during the next year.
                My goal is to focus on practice rather than
                on theory, although I'd like to touch on the advanced
                issues too. So, I'm looking from previous
                teaching experiences of other lecturers,
                and specially what tools did they use. Is there
                an easy to use tool that contains standard GP,
                but also ADF, loops, memory, recursivity, automatic
                architecture altering operators, etc.?
                Is GPPS available for teaching purposes?

                Thanks a lot,

                Ricardo Aler.
              • John Koza
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 28, 2004
                  Hello:

                  There are links to numerous pieces of software that are good in a course on
                  genetic programming (or GA) on the web page for my course at Stanford at
                  http://www.genetic-programming.com/coursemainpage.html. Almost all of these
                  programs have been used, at one time or another, by some student(s) in my
                  classes. There also is a lot of other material relevant to a university
                  course linked to this web page.

                  DGPC ("Dave's Genetic Programming code in C") is, among others, well-suited
                  to handling branches of various types (ADFs, ADIs, ADLs, ADRs, etc.) and
                  potentially even GPPS.

                  I agree with Forest Bennett's comment that GPPS (even if readily available)
                  is not particularly well-suited for class projects.

                  There is very incomplete listing of various GP and GA courses at
                  http://www.genetic-programming.org/gpcourses.html.

                  Cheers.

                  John R. Koza

                  Consulting Professor
                  Biomedical Informatics
                  Department of Medicine
                  Medical School Office Building (MC 5479) Stanford University Stanford,
                  California 94305-5479

                  Consulting Professor
                  Department of Electrical Engineering
                  School of Engineering
                  Stanford University

                  PREFERRED MAILING ADDRESS:
                  Post Office Box K
                  Los Altos, CA 94023-4011 USA

                  Phone: 650-941-0336
                  Fax: 650-941-9430
                  E-Mail: koza@...
                  WWW Home Page: http://www.smi.stanford.edu/people/koza

                  For information about field of genetic programming in general:
                  http://www.genetic-programming.org

                  For information about Genetic Programming Inc.:
                  http://www.genetic-programming.com

                  For information about the 2003 book "Genetic Programming IV: Routine
                  Human-Competitive Machine Intelligence", visit
                  http://www.genetic-programming.org/gpbook4toc.html

                  For the genetic programming bibliography, visit
                  http://liinwww.ira.uka.de/bibliography/Ai/genetic.programming.html

                  For information about the Genetic Programming book series from Kluwer
                  Academic Publishers, visit http://www.genetic-programming.org/gpkluwer.html

                  For information about the annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation
                  Conference (GECCO) (which includes the annual Genetic Programming
                  Conference) to be held in Washington DC on June 25-29, 2005 (Saturday -
                  Wednesday), visit http://www.isgec.org/gecco-2005/

                  For information about the International Society on Genetic and Evolutionary
                  Computation visit: http://www.isgec.org/

                  For information about the annual Euro-Genetic-Programming Conference to be
                  held on March 30 - April 1, 2005 in Lausanne, Switzerland, visit
                  http://evonet.lri.fr//eurogp2005/

                  For information about the Second Asia-Pacific Workshop on Genetic
                  Programming (ASPGP-2004) to be held in Cairns, Australia on December 6-7,
                  2004, visit www.aspgp.org

                  For information about the annual NASA/DoD Conference on Evolvable Hardware
                  (EH) in Seattle on June 24-26 (Thursday - Saturday), 2004, visit
                  http://ehw.jpl.nasa.gov/events/nasaeh04/

                  For information about the 2005 Genetic Programming Theory and Practice
                  (GPTP) workshop organized by the Center for the Study of Complex Systems of
                  the University of Michigan, visit
                  http://cscs.umich.edu/calendar/conferences.html

                  For information about the Genetic Programming and Evolvable Hardware journal
                  published by Kluwer Academic Publishers, visit
                  http://www.kluweronline.com/issn/1389-2576

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
                    Thanks everyone for the reply. I have been seeing the sites of some of these companies, interesting. Though I am yet to see any semiconductor company using it, I will be more than happy to be corrected here.

                    I was wondering, if the industry track papers of GECCO 2004 are included in the published proceeding. I dont think I found them when I was browsing through the contents of the Springer published book. If not, where can I get them from. If they are, I will be really obliged if someone could send me the link.

                    Thanks
                    Regards
                    Varun

                    I have been for long trying to unearth references to use of GA/GP in the
                    industry. I am not sure, but I think the yardstick to measure the
                    promise/maturity of a field is it usefulness in the industry (ofcourse
                    barring pure sciences!).

                    Any references would be extemely enlightening.

                    Regards
                    Varun
                    www.geocities.com/mumukshu

                    Yahoo! Groups Links