Choosing Cross Over points and parsimony pressure value

  • nguyenthanhvuh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2004
      Hi,
      I am trying to create a digital circuit with GP and have some
      troubles in how to choose the cross-over points.

      The terminal are just x's, e.g x1 x2 x3 x4 x5
      The functions are and or not cos sin log 5in5out_funct 5in1out_funct
      the chromosome format is in pre-order.

      The part that troubles me is if I happen to select a 5in5out_funct
      branch in 1 parent. Then I can only choose
      another 5in5out_funct in the other parent to cross over. That really
      limits the chance of having the 5in5out_funct
      being crossed.

      Also the same type of problem, for example and and and and 5in5out
      x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 . Basically the outputs
      of 5in5out are fed to the 4 ands above it. If I happen to pick any
      of the last 3 ands, then the lower branch of any of
      those and's are part of the output of the 5in5out functions. How to
      do with these cases ? Disallow it ?

      If you have done any sort of thing similar to this. What techniques
      do you use ? Please suggest. Thanks.

      Also I am struggling with the parsimony pressure idea, not sure how
      to find a good coeficient, e.g alpha for the
      formula

      new_fitness = old_fitness + alpha(length(tree)) . Any estimate on
      the value of alpha ?

      Thanks in advance.
    • tanweer noor usmani
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2004
        hiiiiiiii to all;
        anyone can plz guide me how to start programming part
        using GA.
        i just want to start with travelling salesman problem.
        please reply soon.
        Tanweer

        =====

        One possible reason that things aren't going according to plan
        is that there never was a plan in the first place