Re: [GP] Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing - Call for Papers - Pharmacogenomics

  • Bill White
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2004
      One very small detail: you left "research" out of CHGR in your signature

      Marylyn D Ritchie Ph.D. Assistant Professor of Molecular Physiology &
      Biophysics, Center for Human Genetics, Vanderbilt University

      Marylyn Ritchie wrote:

      >Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing
      >The Big Island of Hawaii, January 4-8, 2005
      >Computational Approaches for Pharmacogenomics
      >Call for Papers and Participation
      >Session on Computational Approaches for Pharmacogenomics
      >Pharmacogenomics is a fascinating, emerging area of biomedical research.
      >This area is defined as the intersection between pharmacology and genetics.
      >There is evidence that an individuals' response to drug treatment can be
      >explained, in part, by their genetic variation in certain areas of the
      >genome. Pharmacogenomics holds the promise for individualized medicine,
      >where drugs might one day be tailor-made for individuals and adapted to each
      >person's own genetic makeup. Environmental factors including diet, age, and
      >lifestyle can influence a person's response to medicines, but understanding
      >an individual's genetic makeup is thought to be the key to creating
      >personalized drugs with greater efficacy and safety.
      >Pharmacogenomics combines traditional pharmaceutical sciences such as
      >biochemistry with annotated knowledge of genes, proteins, and single
      >nucleotide polymorphisms. With the sequencing of the human genome near
      >completion, the ability to obtain information about an individual's entire
      >genome is upon us. This will allow for the detection of genetic variations
      >associated with drug response and adverse outcomes on a full genomic scale.
      >Technology has advanced greatly in the area of experimental procedures used
      >to explore pharmacogenomics questions. The major challenges now are
      >developing the statistical and computational capacity to store, manage,
      >analyze and interpret the wealth of data being generated.
      >This session is designed to explore the current state-of-the-art research
      >taking place in bioinformatics, biostatistics, and computational genetics to
      >develop tools for the handling of all the pharmacogenomics data being
      >generated. The goal of this session is the presentation and discussion of
      >new research, algorithms, and methods for the management and analysis of
      >pharmacogenomics data. We intend for this session to bring together
      >scientists from pharmacology, genetics, statistics, and computational
      >biology/bioinformatics to share their efforts in pharmacogenomics.
      >Submission topics can include but are not limited to:
      >- database design and implementation
      >- data sharing among pharmacogenomics centers
      >- statistical analysis of pharmacogenomics data
      >- abstracting and validating clinical phenotypes
      >- statistical and computational method development
      >- real data applications.
      >General Information on PSB
      >The Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing (PSB 2005) is an international,
      >multidisciplinary conference for the presentation and discussion of current
      >research in the theory and application of computational methods in problems
      >of biological significance. PSB 2005 will be held January 4-8, 2005 at the
> [...]

      I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would
      have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood.
      -Clarence Darrow, lawyer and author (1857-1938)