RE: [GP] GP Newbie help

  • Lucas, Simon M
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 12:24 AM
      By using reflection within object-oriented GP, you can
      directly exploit existing class libraries - I have a paper
      explaining this in EuroGP next week - draft available for
      download here:

      http://algoval.essex.ac.uk/rep/LucasPublications.html#LucasEuroOOGP

      This gives GP access to hundreds or thousands
      of methods - you can choose which ones be specifying the
      set of objects the system should work with.

      For example, to evolve a program to download files from
      web sites, you might give it a java.net.URL object as
      a starting point.

      For the medical imaging application in the original question,
      you might seed the system with relevant parts of the ImageJ
      image processing library:

      http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/features.html

      It's still very early days with OOGP, but the
      the ability to exploit existing class libraries
      with little or no human intervention seems
      exciting to me.

      Best regards,

      Simon Lucas

      ps. In that paper I write that it is difficult
      to create new Java classes at run-time, but
      Asato Shimotaki has just pointed out to me
      the Javassist API that allows this to be
      done easily.

      http://www.csg.is.titech.ac.jp/~chiba/javassist/

      Dr. Simon Lucas
      Department of Computer Science