Wrappers, Architectures and/or Agent Frameworks for Evolving AI Techniques?

  • Ian Badcoe
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2003
      I posted this to comp.ai, but it occurred to me that there might be some
      folk here who don't read newsgroups, so....

      During my background reading for Living@Home
      (http://LivingAtHome.sourceforge.net) I've encountered what seems to
      be a blank area in existing reasearch.

      ((
      Living@Home (L@H) is about evolving behaviour for simulated
      creatures (biots). At first I'm using genetic programming, but an ANN
      approach is also relevant. I can see ANN as an alternative
      core-architecture for the L@H biots or, more-interestingly, as the
      second strand in a hybrid approach.
      ))

      In reading up on the area, one of the things I was expecting
      to find was studies where people had wrapped an evolving core-system
      in some other AI techniques, but I found very little of this nature.
      To illustrate:

      For the evolving core I mean GP or GA or EC or NN (in fact,
      "evolving" in this case is in the sense of "changing with time", so
      any "learning" or "adapting" core might apply). For my purposes, I'm
      generally considering that the core would hold multiple entities (call
      them genes or memes) which compete to be considered "relevant" to the
      current situation. I would not consider the single gene case to be so
      different that I wouldn't discuss it, however.

      From the perspective of some of those core techniques, you
      might think that my wrapper functionality (details below) overlaps
      with things the core can do. For example, "memory" is something I'd
      consider having in the wrapper, but a recurrent NN core would support
      its own form of "memory". I have no problem with these clashes. As I
      hope you'll see below, I want to use the wrapper to extend the core,
      rather than take anything from it. So if the genes can store memories
      as internal state (and longer-term by evolving) and the wrapper also
      does that (a buffering recent input and longer-term as deliberately
      written memories) then I'm sure the system will find uses for both.

      For what the wrapper might do, I include quite a wide range of
      things (this topic gets very hard to discuss at this point, largely
      because it cuts across several areas of study, and doesn't have it's
      own terminology :) ). However, the sorts of services that the wrapper
      might provide to the core are:

      STORAGE
      -(long term) output from the core which is flagged for keeping
      -(immediate) a buffer of recent input
      -(working data) output from the core not flagged for keeping
      -(working state) activity status of competing core elements

      CORE MANAGEMENT
      To increase evolvability, I would like to fill the core with
      many loosely-interacting components (genes). The wrapper would be
      responsible for:
      -calculating the activity of each gene
      -gene to gene communication
      (maybe via the "working data", above)
      -running any "somatic" evolution that the core might involve
      -tracking gene "homogeneity" during sexual reproduction
      (if applicable)

      DATA ORGANISATION
      One area where I really see the wrapper extending the core is
      in decoupling evolved components from the precise details of their
      history. For example, in the context of Living@Home, one might add a
      new entity to the world. Previously evolved biots would have no genes
      applying directly to the new entity. However, if the new entity
      shared characteristics with existing ones (position, size, velocity,
      ...) then some of the more-general genes might be usefully applied,
      _IF_ the resemblance could be detected. Structuring the biot's data
      hierarchically so that e.g. position was contained _within_ some
      higher-order record might allow this, as both old and new entities
      would merely look (to the relevant gene) like "things with positions".
      We've been talking about such an organised store as a "blackboard",
      (BB) although not with any slavish devotion to the detail of other
      blackboard systems. Other uses of hierarchic data-storage are:
      -store partial data as records with less fields
      -store age of data in parallel?
      -store reliability of data in parallel?
      -genes could "annotate" existing records with synthesized data
      (which other genes could then read)

      PATTERN RECOGNITION
      Genes need to know when to activate, and a component of their
      activity should certainly be based on how well the current data on the
      BB matches their area of application. To cover this, each gene should
      have one or more "input filters" which are pattern-matched against the
      current BB. such filters could be quite complex, such as "anything
      new with a position and less than 20m from me and containing any
      dangerous weapon and cannot be eaten" (although the alternative to
      this is several genes chained together). Other things filters do:
      -map entries in the BB to gene input "channels"
      -optionally supply defaults for missing data
      -activity biases
      -match single or multiple cases
      -priority biases

      MULTIPLICITY
      One problem with evolving techniques is variable multiplicity
      of input. With a suitable wrapper, however, when an input filter
      matches multiple cases, it is an option to clone and activate multiple
      instances of the gene.

      RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
      If CPU resources are limited, the wrapper need not activate
      every gene with a partial match on the BB. Instead some priority
      queuing might be applied.
      Similarly, old abandoned memories would get culled.

      POST-CONCEPTION REWIRING
      This is a "maybe" but a further element of evolvability in
      biology is that embryo development processes its genetic input in a
      fairly loose and flexible manner - basically interpreting it in a
      "common sense" manner. The is why, for example, two-headed snakes can
      live (where a two-nosed 747 would not). There are several layers of
      such systems in biology, such as early cell-migration to about the
      right place, and the most obvious being nerve growth. In some cases
      some similar processing could increase evolvability by buffering
      against semi-detrimental changes for long enough to allow accommodating
      mutations to occur.

      --

      Obviously the wrapper is adding a second layer of evolution to
      the core, in that its configuration is susceptible to mutation in

      ---

      So, is anybody working on anything like this? Or do you know
      of somebody who is? Or would you just like to discuss it? There's
      some outlining of the issues on the L@H mailing list (follow the link
      from the web-site) but actual discussion never got off the ground.
      That's why I'm asking here.

      I'll talk to anybody here, or by email, or I'll create and
      administer a mailing list if there's enough interest.

      Ian Badcoe
      Free transport into the future - while you wait.