Clarence Earl Moses

  • Vicki
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
      I am trying to locate any information on a Clarence Earl Moses. This
      is what I do know about him:
      He was born between 1905 and 1910 in VA
      He was married at least once to my grandmother Alice Lucille Dowdy and
      they had one daughter in 1927.
      He left them when the daughter was about 1 year old or so.
      He may have been in the military since the only photo we have of him
      shows him on a ship in a military uniform.
      His parents were Wiley Thomas Moses and Blanche St. Clair.
      He could also be listed as Earl Moses.
      He supposedly died in 1945 in Long Island, NY.
      There is a possibility that he remarried and had another family.
      I would like any info that can be found on him including his place of
      burial. I have searched but have come up with nothing.

      Thanks for any help,
      Vicki L. Mills
    • Mary Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2007
        Thus far, this is what I have.
        1910 Census - Taken May 17, 1910 - Alleghany, Montgomery Co., Virginia
        Wiley M1 - 7 Labourer - Lumberyard Can't read or write
        Blanche M1 - 7 Does read and write
        Johnie W
        Frank E
        Clarence E
        The census indicates they live in a rented house.

        1930 Census of Merchant Seaman - New York, Queens, New York
        Ship: SS Pan American owned by Munson Line, 67 Wall Street, Ny, NY
        Earl Moses : 22 years old, attended school, birthplace: Virginia, not a veteran, occupation:
        messman, next of kin: 77 New York Avenue, Union City, NJ
        Note: There a numerous records for him on New York Passenger Lists, sailing between
        Bermuda and New York.

        WWII Draft Registration Cards, 1942
        Wiley Thomas Moses
        Residence: Lafayette, Montgomery Co., Va.
        Born: March 17, 1884 Roanoke, Va

        Possible brother ???
        Walter Fleming Moses
        Residence: Salem, Roanoke Co., Va.
        Wife: Lolla E
        Born: 31 July, 1878
        Occupation: Farmer

        La Petite Fidget

        Live gently: let go of grudges, don't judge others, and offer forgiveness. Wear your seatbelt. Let your family know where you are going, when you'll be home, who you are with. Don't gossip or spread rumors; it hurts and life is too short to hurt others. Put your trust in God. Tell the people that you love that you love them, don't wait until tomorrow when it may be too late."

      • Mary Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2007
          I have found the following for Alice.

          1930 Census - Otter River, Campbell Co., Virginia
          Gracie (42 Widow) Farm Manager Children: Walter P (19), Victor A (17), Thornton A
          (15), Elizabeth (10), Alice L (9), Horace (1), Helen
          Walter, Victor and Thornton all are farm workers. Everyone was born in Virginia and Gracie's and her children's parents are shown to also be.

          Family Trees...
          Alice born: 2 Oct 1911
          birthplace: Richlands, Tazewell Co., Virginia
          parents: William Robert Dowdy
          Laura Victoria Melvin
          spouse: Earl Moses
          mar: 3 Jun 1926