Re: [Genealogy Research Club] One of my brick walls

  • klturner1172
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
      Susan,

      Lrt me contact the Bonifay Historian, I live here in Florida and I
      will let you know what I find out. She might have and obit in the
      local paper, however since they have not put them on film or fiche, I
      will have to go to the library there.
    • (no author)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hi. My name is PJ and I am trying to search my family tree. My brick wall is my gg-grandfather on my dad's side of the family. His name was Cyrus Hatfield Sponsler. I have been told he was born in Pennsylvania and later moved to Sangamon Co. IL where he married several times [three that we know of]. I am trying to find out who his parents were and if he had any brothers and sisters. If so what were their names? I know he lived in Iowa for a while and had a daughter named Mary Alice Ann who married a Glaspie. I have been told that he is buried somewhere in Boone Co. MO but I have no idea where. Here is what information I have on the family. I do have more information on the current lines but nothing about Cyrus and his wives or their families. Any information would be helpful. I can be reached at pjspons@... People have sent me information on another Cyrus Sponsler and I feel that he is the nephew of my gg-grandfather. My gg-grandfather had at least two brothers-Gilbert and James. I feel that my g-grandfather James Phillip was named after my gg-grandfathers brother and that the other Cyrus was named after my gg-grandfather. There is even a Gilbert in the family of the other Cyrus and he was named after his father's uncle Gilbert. I have not been able to prove any of this at this point. I have a membership to ancestory but I have trouble making heads or tails out of the information there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
        PJ

        CYRUS HATFIELD SPONSLER

        Cyrus Hatfield Sponsler:

        Born: March 25, 1824

        Died: June 22, 1890

        Cyrus married Mary L. Strickland September 10, 1847

        Cyrus married Malinda Amelia Green February 20, 1851

        Cyrus married Sara Jane Rash sometime after 1860 unsure of date.

        Mary L. (Strickland) Sponsler [1st Wife of Cyrus]

        Born: August 29, 1825

        Died: April 9, 1849

        Malinda Amelia (Green) Sponsler [2nd wife of Cyrus]

        Born: January 31, 1832

        Died: September 9, 1860

        Sara Jane (Rash) Sponsler [3rd wife of Cyrus]

        Born: January 22, 1846 {Indiana}

        Died: March 5, 1928 Adair Co. Missouri 11:40a.m.

        Children of Mary and Cyrus:

        1) Andrew Redmond

        Born: July 27, 1848

        Died: June 16, 1849

        Children of Malinda and Cyrus:

        1) Green Littleton

        Born: January 25, 1852

        Died: August 25, 1852

        2) Augusta

        Born: October 5, 1854

        Died: October 23, 1854

        3) Mary Alice Ann

        Born: July or August 6, 1856 (listed 2x's different month)

        Died: ?????

        * Mary Alice Ann married Richard Glaspie May 15, 1874 Their daughter Emma Martha was born in 1878 and married Harvey Hampton.

        4) Clarance Almer

        Born: July 24, 1858

        Died: October 20, 1858

        Children of Sara and Cyrus:

        1) James Phillip

        Born: January 8, 1865

        Died: September 1943 {buried Mulberry Cemetery, Adair Co. Missouri.)

        2) Ellen Frances

        Born: October 11, 1881 or 1882

        Died: ????

        · Ellen married John Black and they had one son Reed who was raised by James Phillip, Ellen's brother.

        JAMES PHILLIP SPONSLER

        James Phillip Sponsler
        Born: January 8, 1865 (Davis Co, Iowa)

        Died: September 28, 1943

        James was a Sawmiller

        James married Mary Luvina Rash December 25, 1892 in Davis Co, Iowa.

        Mary Luvina (Rash) Sponsler

        Born: April 29, 1871 [southern Missouri]

        Died: ????

        Mary was the daughter of John & Sara Jane (Garringer) Rash

        Children of James & Mary:

        1) Ella May

        Born: January 2, 1895

        Died: ???? [Hazel Creek Cemetery, Adair Co. Missouri] Ella married Art Scott.

        2) Elmer L

        Born: May 29, 1897

        Died: January 5, 1901 [buried in Dean, Iowa]

        3) Ellsworth

        Born: ????

        Died: ???? [buried in Dean, Iowa next to Elmer according to family members]

        4) William Earl

        Born: March 3, 1906

        Died: August 8, 1991 [buried Hazel Creek Cemetery, Adair Co. near Kirksville MO.]

        William Earl was my grandfather. He married Dora May Hover April 26, 1936. They had 10 children.

        Children of William & Dora:

        1. James Calvin Sponsler

        a. Born: March 5, 1937

        b. Died:

        c. Married: Evelyn Bernice Panky

        d. Children:

        i. Kathryn Diane

        ii. Lorna Jane

        iii. Bonnie Jean

        2. Phillip Laniel Sponsler [my father]

        a. Born: November 24, 1940

        b. Died: February 1, 1994

        c. Buried: Hazel Creek Cemetery, Adair Co. MO

        d. Married: Karen Kay Griggs [June 15, 1943]

        3. Warren Reed Sponsler

        a. Born:

        b. Died: January 1959

        c. Buried: Hazel Creek Cemetery, Adair Co., MO

        4. Eva Pearl Sponsler Passmore

        a. Born:

        b. Died:

        c. Married: Steven Allen Passmore

        5. Arthur Riley Sponsler

        a. Born:

        b. Died:

        c. Buried: Hazel Creek Cemetery, Adair Col, MO

        6. William Earl Sponsler Jr.

        a. Born: November

        7. Lavinia May Sponsler

        a. Born: December 12, 1952

        b. Died:

        8. Elizabeth Carol Sponsler

        a. Born: December 21, 1950

        b. Died:

        9. Patricia Elaine Sponsler Creech

        a. Born: December 10, 1956

        b. Died:

        c. Married: James Robert Creech I

        d. Children:

        i. James Robert Creech II

        ii. Matthew Scott Creech

        10. Rose Marie Sponsler Haggard

        a. Born: May 6, 1959

        b. Died:

        a. Married: Larry Ray Haggard

        b. Children:

        i. Joshua Ryan Haggard

        ii. Jonathan Lee Haggard

        iii. Jamie Michelle Haggard

        iv. Jacob Allen Haggard

      • Susan Ball
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
          That's a good idea. I'm glad you have access to the historian and library.
          I hope you find something.

          Susan

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
            Hi PJ,

            I wasn't clear if you had Census info or not, but I found these and
            thought I'd send them on. I wasn't able to easily spot Cyrus in the 1850
            census. Have you tired the rootsweb county project for Boone?

            Susan
            _________
            In 1850 Census there is a Chas. A. Sponsler b. 1826 and a Simon A. Sponsler
            b. 1822 in Sagamon, IL; both b. PA and living together with wives &
            children.

            1860: District 16, Sangamon, Illinois; Sims Sponsler (Sirus) b. PA; wife
            Melinda b. IL, dau. Mary A. b. IL

            ( ---Another Sponsler in Sagamon, IL is G. b. abt.1833 in PA, wife Sarah,
            children W.A and G.A.)

            (---Other Sponsler's in IL who were born in PA: Franklin R.; James W.; C.A.;
            Lewis; Harriet (listed as male) and J. - all are of an age that could be
            Cyrus's brothers)

            1870: Liberty, Putnam, Missouri; C Sponsler; wife S. b. IN, dau M.A.A. b.
            IA, son J.P. b. MO

            (I didn't see any other Sponsler's living in MO b. in PA)

            1880: Russell, Camden, Missouri; C. H. Sponsler b. PA, parents b. PA; wife
            Sarah, son James