One of my brick walls

  • vernneremelius
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
      My grandmother, Ada Stewart b.May 1875 or 76 in Alabama. She died in
      March 1918 in Bonifay Florida. Married James W. Johnson in Wicksburg,
      AL in Sept 1895 (from family Bible) they settled in FL and had 5 sons:
      William armour, James Emett, Otis Danley,Stewart Evon and Jamsi Dresdon.
      I can't find where she was born or anythi;ng about her parents. She
      may may been Indian. thanks for any help or direction VJ
    • Susan Ball
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
        There is an Adah Stewart, age 5, in AL June 2nd 1880 census. Brothers Les
        and Lonnie; Parents Thomas b. AL, and Nancy b. NC.

        Another possibility is Ada Steuart, age 6, in AL June 14 1880 census.
        Sisters Sarah and Eliza F.; Parents William W. b. Georgia, and Ziba b. AL.

        I searched for "Adaline" too, but didn't find any.

        Any names sound familiar? Maybe her siblings kept in touch with the boys?

        In the June 1st 1900 census with sons Armour & Emmett, Ada is age 24, b. May
        1876, married 4 years, parents both b. AL.

        1910 - her father born Georgia, mother AL. Ada's listed as only age 30.

        In 1920 her sons list her as b. AL. In 1930 all the boys list AL as
        mother's birth place, even though it seems as if the 2nd wife b. FL is
        mother to the 2 youngest boys.

        I'm sure you already have these census records. I was just trying to piece
        something together. It's sad that Ada died at such a young age. I think
        the Ada Steuart is a good bet since the father is listed born in GA and Ada
        had to get that idea from somewhere. Have you found her obit/death notice
        or death records from state of FL?

        Susan

        On 1/1/07, vernneremelius <vjremel@...> wrote:

        > My grandmother, Ada Stewart b.May 1875 or 76 in Alabama. She died in
        > March 1918 in Bonifay Florida. Married James W. Johnson in Wicksburg,
        > AL in Sept 1895 (from family Bible) they settled in FL and had 5 sons:
        > William armour, James Emett, Otis Danley,Stewart Evon and Jamsi Dresdon.
        > I can't find where she was born or anythi;ng about her parents. She
        > may may been Indian. thanks for any help or direction VJ

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • klturner1172
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
          Susan,

          Lrt me contact the Bonifay Historian, I live here in Florida and I
          will let you know what I find out. She might have and obit in the
          local paper, however since they have not put them on film or fiche, I
          will have to go to the library there.
        • (no author)
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
            Hi. My name is PJ and I am trying to search my family tree. My brick wall is my gg-grandfather on my dad's side of the family. His name was Cyrus Hatfield Sponsler. I have been told he was born in Pennsylvania and later moved to Sangamon Co. IL where he married several times [three that we know of]. I am trying to find out who his parents were and if he had any brothers and sisters. If so what were their names? I know he lived in Iowa for a while and had a daughter named Mary Alice Ann who married a Glaspie. I have been told that he is buried somewhere in Boone Co. MO but I have no idea where. Here is what information I have on the family. I do have more information on the current lines but nothing about Cyrus and his wives or their families. Any information would be helpful. I can be reached at pjspons@... People have sent me information on another Cyrus Sponsler and I feel that he is the nephew of my gg-grandfather. My gg-grandfather had at least two brothers-Gilbert and James. I feel that my g-grandfather James Phillip was named after my gg-grandfathers brother and that the other Cyrus was named after my gg-grandfather. There is even a Gilbert in the family of the other Cyrus and he was named after his father's uncle Gilbert. I have not been able to prove any of this at this point. I have a membership to ancestory but I have trouble making heads or tails out of the information there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
            PJ

            CYRUS HATFIELD SPONSLER

            Cyrus Hatfield Sponsler:

            Born: March 25, 1824

            Died: June 22, 1890

            Cyrus married Mary L. Strickland September 10, 1847

            Cyrus married Malinda Amelia Green February 20, 1851

            Cyrus married Sara Jane Rash sometime after 1860 unsure of date.

            Mary L. (Strickland) Sponsler [1st Wife of Cyrus]

            Born: August 29, 1825

            Died: April 9, 1849

            Malinda Amelia (Green) Sponsler [2nd wife of Cyrus]

            Born: January 31, 1832

            Died: September 9, 1860

            Sara Jane (Rash) Sponsler [3rd wife of Cyrus]

            Born: January 22, 1846 {Indiana}

            Died: March 5, 1928 Adair Co. Missouri 11:40a.m.

            Children of Mary and Cyrus:

            1) Andrew Redmond

            Born: July 27, 1848

            Died: June 16, 1849

            Children of Malinda and Cyrus:

            1) Green Littleton

            Born: January 25, 1852

            Died: August 25, 1852

            2) Augusta

            Born: October 5, 1854

            Died: October 23, 1854

            3) Mary Alice Ann

            Born: July or August 6, 1856 (listed 2x's different month)

            Died: ?????

            * Mary Alice Ann married Richard Glaspie May 15, 1874 Their daughter Emma Martha was born in 1878 and married Harvey Hampton.

            4) Clarance Almer

            Born: July 24, 1858

            Died: October 20, 1858

            Children of Sara and Cyrus:

            1) James Phillip

            Born: January 8, 1865

            Died: September 1943 {buried Mulberry Cemetery, Adair Co. Missouri.)

            2) Ellen Frances

            Born: October 11, 1881 or 1882

            Died: ????

            · Ellen married John Black and they had one son Reed who was raised by James Phillip, Ellen's brother.

            JAMES PHILLIP SPONSLER

            James Phillip Sponsler
            Born: January 8, 1865 (Davis Co, Iowa)

            Died: September 28, 1943

            James was a Sawmiller

            James married Mary Luvina Rash December 25, 1892 in Davis Co, Iowa.

            Mary Luvina (Rash) Sponsler

            Born: April 29, 1871 [southern Missouri]

            Died: ????

            Mary was the daughter of John & Sara Jane (Garringer) Rash

            Children of James & Mary:

            1) Ella May

            Born: January 2, 1895

            Died: ???? [Hazel Creek Cemetery, Adair Co. Missouri] Ella married Art Scott.

            2) Elmer L

            Born: May 29, 1897

            Died: January 5, 1901 [buried in Dean, Iowa]

            3) Ellsworth

            Born: ????

            Died: ???? [buried in Dean, Iowa next to Elmer according to family members]

            4) William Earl

            Born: March 3, 1906

            Died: August 8, 1991 [buried Hazel Creek Cemetery, Adair Co. near Kirksville MO.]

            William Earl was my grandfather. He married Dora May Hover April 26, 1936. They had 10 children.

            Children of William & Dora:

            1. James Calvin Sponsler

            a. Born: March 5, 1937

            b. Died:

            c. Married: Evelyn Bernice Panky

            d. Children:

            i. Kathryn Diane

            ii. Lorna Jane

            iii. Bonnie Jean

            2. Phillip Laniel Sponsler [my father]

            a. Born: November 24, 1940

            b. Died: February 1, 1994

            c. Buried: Hazel Creek Cemetery, Adair Co. MO

            d. Married: Karen Kay Griggs [June 15, 1943]

            3. Warren Reed Sponsler

            a. Born:

            b. Died: January 1959

            c. Buried: Hazel Creek Cemetery, Adair Co., MO

            4. Eva Pearl Sponsler Passmore

            a. Born:

            b. Died:

            c. Married: Steven Allen Passmore

            5. Arthur Riley Sponsler

            a. Born:

            b. Died:

            c. Buried: Hazel Creek Cemetery, Adair Col, MO

            6. William Earl Sponsler Jr.

            a. Born: November

            7. Lavinia May Sponsler

            a. Born: December 12, 1952

            b. Died:

            8. Elizabeth Carol Sponsler

            a. Born: December 21, 1950

            b. Died:

            9. Patricia Elaine Sponsler Creech

            a. Born: December 10, 1956

            b. Died:

            c. Married: James Robert Creech I

            d. Children:

            i. James Robert Creech II

            ii. Matthew Scott Creech

            10. Rose Marie Sponsler Haggard

            a. Born: May 6, 1959

            b. Died:

            a. Married: Larry Ray Haggard

            b. Children:

            i. Joshua Ryan Haggard

            ii. Jonathan Lee Haggard

            iii. Jamie Michelle Haggard

            iv. Jacob Allen Haggard

          • Susan Ball
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
              That's a good idea. I'm glad you have access to the historian and library.
              I hope you find something.

              Susan

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
                Hi PJ,

                I wasn't clear if you had Census info or not, but I found these and
                thought I'd send them on. I wasn't able to easily spot Cyrus in the 1850
                census. Have you tired the rootsweb county project for Boone?

                Susan
                _________
                In 1850 Census there is a Chas. A. Sponsler b. 1826 and a Simon A. Sponsler
                b. 1822 in Sagamon, IL; both b. PA and living together with wives &
                children.

                1860: District 16, Sangamon, Illinois; Sims Sponsler (Sirus) b. PA; wife
                Melinda b. IL, dau. Mary A. b. IL

                ( ---Another Sponsler in Sagamon, IL is G. b. abt.1833 in PA, wife Sarah,
                children W.A and G.A.)

                (---Other Sponsler's in IL who were born in PA: Franklin R.; James W.; C.A.;
                Lewis; Harriet (listed as male) and J. - all are of an age that could be
                Cyrus's brothers)

                1870: Liberty, Putnam, Missouri; C Sponsler; wife S. b. IN, dau M.A.A. b.
                IA, son J.P. b. MO

                (I didn't see any other Sponsler's living in MO b. in PA)

                1880: Russell, Camden, Missouri; C. H. Sponsler b. PA, parents b. PA; wife
                Sarah, son James