Breaking down those Brick Walls

  • Tina Stedman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2006
      Happy New Year!!

      Let's break down those walls and send in your message of a brick wall
      you would like to break down this year.

      This message should include the name of the person, birthdate,
      marriage date, death date, and children/spouse. As much information
      as you can provide will help us to break down those walls. I put an
      example of a brick wall for me below.

      My brick wall:

      Della Rupert - born Oct 1871 and died 1934, both Ohio. She married
      John William Minnick in 1891 and had two girls, Mary and Glendora.
      The children were born in Clark County. The death year was on the
      gravestone and the birth year is from census/gravestone. I have a few
      choices for her parents but have not been able to prove anything yet.

      Happy hunting,
      Tina
      List Admin
    • Peakcat@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
        To All:

        My brick wall is my husband's grandmother, Bertha Schechter. She was born
        about 1890 in Austria, (maiden name Spindel), married Max Schechter 12/24/1910
        in Brooklyn. Had three children, Frances (1914), Jewel (1917) and Jack 1920.
        She and Max were divorced in the early 1940's in Brooklyn. Because of the
        divorce, she was not buried in the family plot in Mt. Hebron Cemetery when you
        died about 1955 (my husband believes about Sept or Oct of 1955) and
        consequently we have been unable to find any information on where she is buried. Thought
        we had finally gotten the death certificate but it turned out to be the
        wrong Bertha Schechter. Checked for newspaper obituaries at the main library in
        NY and came away empty handed. Her place of burial seems to have been a big
        family secret and anyone who might have the answer has since passed on. Any
        help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

        Happy hunting to all and also a happy healthy new year.]

        Ina Getzoff
        Metuchen, NJ
        _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...) (please reply privately)

      • klturner1172
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
          Found a Bertha Schecter, listed in the 1930 census with Max and
          Children Flo, Jewel, and Jack.Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census
          Place: Brooklyn, Kings, New York; Roll: 1530; Page: 4A; Enumeration
          District: 753; Image: 133.0.

          Do you know if she married again? There are very few cemeteries in
          Kings County New York, you might was to contact the Genealogy society
          in Kings county New York for some help.
        • Peakcat@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2007
            Thank you for the information. You have probably found the correct Bertha
            Schechter since you indicate her daughter's name as Flo (Frances) and that is
            how she was known. My husband thinks that Bertha may have remarried after the
            divorce to a man by the name of Jules Stein but does not know what happened to
            him since Bertha came to live with him and his parents in either 1955 or
            1956 prior to her death. He also remembers that she lived in Queens, NY for
            awhile prior to moving in with him and his parents. Jules Stein, though, never
            moved in with them but we found my husband's public school autograph book (when
            he graduated) and there is a note from a Jules Stein in 1956 but nothing
            from Bertha. Any ideas would be helpful.

            Happy, healthy new year to the group.

            Ina Getzoff
            _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)