Re: [Genealogy Research Club] 1927-1963 Robert Roy Rogness

  • Tammy Jernigan
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2006
      Robert John Rogness died before your father was born.

      TAMMY JERNIGAN

    • klturner1172
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Stickney"
        <mary@...> wrote:

        > For many years I have been looking for my fathers family. My
        Father died
        > when
        > I was two years old. He should have been in the 1930 census as a
        3 year
        > old. He was
        > not and neither was any of the names he used as his parents on the
        documents
        > I have
        > managed to get.
        >
        > The only new item is I finally got a picture so I know what he
        looks like.
        > My Aunt
        > swore up and down she had none. As we never went to Xmas at her
        house until
        > after he died.
        > Then my gramma died and she was looking for a picture of her for
        my cousin
        > and found this.
        >
        > Picture story here.. he is the Groom in the picture
        > www.maryshouse.us/Robert_Roy_Rogness.htm
        >
        > My name is Mary Lee Rogness; I was born in Iowa City Iowa. I am
        looking for
        > information on my father who died when I was 2 years old.
        > His name is Robert Roy Rogness, the groom in the above picture,
        born
        > 02/15/1927, died 11/22/1963. He died of a Glioblastoma Brain
        Tumor , mostly
        > because of his stubbornness and not going to the Doctor , even
        though he had
        > headaches so bad he ate bottles of aspirin a day. One day he
        screamed out
        > from the pain and fell from the top of his Semi Truck where he had
        been
        > cleaning ice off. My mother called the ambulance, this is when
        they found
        > the tumor.
        >
        > He married my Mother in 1957 in Iowa City Iowa. I am getting
        conflicting
        > information as to what his parents names are. He would not talk
        about his
        > side of the family to my mother. He would get mad and change the
        subject,
        > every time she brought it up. He would only say he was born in
        Gold Stone
        > Montana and his mothers name was Rose. I ordered a birth
        certificate from
        > Montana, and there was not one on file. I also ordered a birth
        certificate
        > from Michigan and there was not one there either. He applied for
        his Social
        > Security Card in Rugby North Dakota on May 25,1954.
        >
        > On his Social Security SS5 application it says:
        > He was born Big Rapids Michigan
        > Father: Robert John Rogness
        > Mother: Alice McKinzie
        > DOB 02/15/1927
        >
        > On his and my Mothers marriage certificate it says:
        > He was born Gold Stone Montana
        > Father: Gulleck Sven Rogness
        > Mother: Rose Swenson
        > DOB 02/15/1927
        >
        > My mother met my father in 1956 , they went to the First Church of
        the
        > Nazarene. They were married up until he died in 1963. He left my
        mother with
        > 3 kids , 2,4, and 6 years old, and 8 months pregnant with a
        fourth. My
        > youngest brother was born 2 weeks after our dad died.
        >

        > We drew death benefits from that SS# , so I know it is the correct
        one. We
        > lived at 1205 S. Riverside Drive, Iowa City Iowa, up until he got
        to sick to
        > work. Then we moved to 603 1st avenue, Iowa City Iowa. He was
        there 2 months
        > then had to be put in a nursing home, until he died. He died the
        same day as
        > Kennedy was assassinated.
        >
        > In July 1958 he told my Mom that they were going to move, they
        loaded up the
        > truck and drove to Caldwell Idaho. My mother remembers that he
        cried on the
        > way there. Taking my oldest brother who was 11 months old , they
        stayed in a
        > Motel for a week. He left my mother and brother in the motel and
        was gone
        > everyday for 8-10 hours.
        >
        > I have been told (by my uncle of course), that he bought and sold
        guns.

        > he also told me this story:
        > My Dad and my grandfather were in a bar. After my dad left ,a guy
        came up to
        > my grandfather and told him "I knew Bob, when he lived
        > in California and had 4 kids.
        >
        > My uncle also used to ride with my dad in the moving van
        (TransAmerican Van
        > Service), my dad
        > was always looking for a place that had Western Union services.
        Also , when
        > my father was in the hospital with the brain tumor that killed
        him, some
        > lady
        > called our house looking for him, several times.
        >
        > I do not know any of his family. If he has brothers or sisters.
        Where he
        > went to school. My father used to write to the Government allot.
        My uncle
        > was at our house one day when he got a reply from the White house.
        To a
        > letter he had written, saying "So and So" was worse than Hoffa".
        My uncle
        > could not remember the So and so's name.
        >

        > Stickneys Toy Breed Retirement Sanctuary-Cortland, Nebraska - No
        Room at the
        > Inn
        >

        > Hi Mary,
        Don't know if you have tried this website, however I was skimming
        through it after I read your e-mail and thought about you. There
        seems to be a Robert Roy Rogness that is listed to match alot of
        your information. If your already have this infor I am sorry but it
        not please take a look at this
        webb.http://www.gencircles.com/users/sriddle/1/data/67616>
        Hope this helps. It is on gencicles and the listed name is the Steve
        Riddle's Family Tree. I put Robert Roy Rogness in the search and
        came up with this infor.
      • Mary Stickney
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
          I think he did , I have been looking in the court and prison records but
          found nothing.

          Maybe he was just the black sheep of the family... Or got into it with his
          dad
          And never spoke to him again.

          Stickneys Toy Breed Retirement Sanctuary-Cortland, Nebraska - No Room at the
          Inn
          Rescue is about the good, the bad, the ugly , the old, the deaf, and the
          blind.
          and those who matter don't mind.
          Those who can, do. Those who can't, bully.
          DO NOT forward, cross-post, or copy this post, without written permission!

          What an interesting father. I guess he had something to hid. I don't know
          how much I can help but I will try.
        • Mary Stickney

            Don't know if you have tried this website, however I was skimming through it
            after I read your e-mail and thought about you. There seems to be a Robert
            Roy Rogness that is listed to match alot of your information. If your
            already have this infor I am sorry but it not please take a look at this
            webb.http://www.gencircles.com/users/sriddle/1/data/67616>
            Hope this helps. It is on gencicles and the listed name is the Steve
            Riddle's Family Tree. I put Robert Roy Rogness in the search and came up
            with this infor.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Mary Stickney
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
              What info do you have on this Robert John Rogness , the only one I could
              Ever find is my Brother Robert John Rogness .. Supposedly named for my
              Fathers father..

              My brother was born 2 weeks after our dad died.