1927-1963 Robert Roy Rogness

  • Mary Stickney
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2006
      For many years I have been looking for my fathers family. My Father died
      when
      I was two years old. He should have been in the 1930 census as a 3 year
      old. He was
      not and neither was any of the names he used as his parents on the documents
      I have
      managed to get.

      The only new item is I finally got a picture so I know what he looks like.
      My Aunt
      swore up and down she had none. As we never went to Xmas at her house until
      after he died.
      Then my gramma died and she was looking for a picture of her for my cousin
      and found this.

      Picture story here.. he is the Groom in the picture
      www.maryshouse.us/Robert_Roy_Rogness.htm

      My name is Mary Lee Rogness; I was born in Iowa City Iowa. I am looking for
      information on my father who died when I was 2 years old.
      His name is Robert Roy Rogness, the groom in the above picture, born
      02/15/1927, died 11/22/1963. He died of a Glioblastoma Brain Tumor , mostly
      because of his stubbornness and not going to the Doctor , even though he had
      headaches so bad he ate bottles of aspirin a day. One day he screamed out
      from the pain and fell from the top of his Semi Truck where he had been
      cleaning ice off. My mother called the ambulance, this is when they found
      the tumor.

      He married my Mother in 1957 in Iowa City Iowa. I am getting conflicting
      information as to what his parents names are. He would not talk about his
      side of the family to my mother. He would get mad and change the subject,
      every time she brought it up. He would only say he was born in Gold Stone
      Montana and his mothers name was Rose. I ordered a birth certificate from
      Montana, and there was not one on file. I also ordered a birth certificate
      from Michigan and there was not one there either. He applied for his Social
      Security Card in Rugby North Dakota on May 25,1954.

      On his Social Security SS5 application it says:
      He was born Big Rapids Michigan
      Father: Robert John Rogness
      Mother: Alice McKinzie
      DOB 02/15/1927

      On his and my Mothers marriage certificate it says:
      He was born Gold Stone Montana
      Father: Gulleck Sven Rogness
      Mother: Rose Swenson
      DOB 02/15/1927

      My mother met my father in 1956 , they went to the First Church of the
      Nazarene. They were married up until he died in 1963. He left my mother with
      3 kids , 2,4, and 6 years old, and 8 months pregnant with a fourth. My
      youngest brother was born 2 weeks after our dad died.

      We drew death benefits from that SS# , so I know it is the correct one. We
      lived at 1205 S. Riverside Drive, Iowa City Iowa, up until he got to sick to
      work. Then we moved to 603 1st avenue, Iowa City Iowa. He was there 2 months
      then had to be put in a nursing home, until he died. He died the same day as
      Kennedy was assassinated.

      In July 1958 he told my Mom that they were going to move, they loaded up the
      truck and drove to Caldwell Idaho. My mother remembers that he cried on the
      way there. Taking my oldest brother who was 11 months old , they stayed in a
      Motel for a week. He left my mother and brother in the motel and was gone
      everyday for 8-10 hours.

      I have been told (by my uncle of course), that he bought and sold guns.

      he also told me this story:
      My Dad and my grandfather were in a bar. After my dad left ,a guy came up to
      my grandfather and told him "I knew Bob, when he lived
      in California and had 4 kids.

      My uncle also used to ride with my dad in the moving van (TransAmerican Van
      Service), my dad
      was always looking for a place that had Western Union services. Also , when
      my father was in the hospital with the brain tumor that killed him, some
      lady
      called our house looking for him, several times.

      I do not know any of his family. If he has brothers or sisters. Where he
      went to school. My father used to write to the Government allot. My uncle
      was at our house one day when he got a reply from the White house. To a
      letter he had written, saying "So and So" was worse than Hoffa". My uncle
      could not remember the So and so's name.

      Stickneys Toy Breed Retirement Sanctuary-Cortland, Nebraska - No Room at the
      Inn

    • Tammy Jernigan
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2006
        Robert John Rogness died before your father was born.

        TAMMY JERNIGAN

      • klturner1172
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Stickney"
          <mary@...> wrote:

> [...]
          (TransAmerican Van
          > Service), my dad
          > was always looking for a place that had Western Union services.
          Also , when
          > my father was in the hospital with the brain tumor that killed
          him, some
          > lady
          > called our house looking for him, several times.
          >
          > I do not know any of his family. If he has brothers or sisters.
          Where he
          > went to school. My father used to write to the Government allot.
          My uncle
          > was at our house one day when he got a reply from the White house.
          To a
          > letter he had written, saying "So and So" was worse than Hoffa".
          My uncle
          > could not remember the So and so's name.
          >

          > Stickneys Toy Breed Retirement Sanctuary-Cortland, Nebraska - No

          Don't know if you have tried this website, however I was skimming
          through it after I read your e-mail and thought about you. There
          seems to be a Robert Roy Rogness that is listed to match alot of
          your information. If your already have this infor I am sorry but it
          not please take a look at this
          webb.http://www.gencircles.com/users/sriddle/1/data/67616>
          Hope this helps. It is on gencicles and the listed name is the Steve
          Riddle's Family Tree. I put Robert Roy Rogness in the search and
          came up with this infor.
        • Lois Edwards
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
            What an interesting father. I guess he had something
            to hid. I don't know how much I can help but I will
            try.

            mailto:genealogyresearchclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mary Stickney
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
              I think he did , I have been looking in the court and prison records but
              found nothing.

              Maybe he was just the black sheep of the family... Or got into it with his
              dad
              And never spoke to him again.

              Stickneys Toy Breed Retirement Sanctuary-Cortland, Nebraska - No Room at the
              Inn
              Rescue is about the good, the bad, the ugly , the old, the deaf, and the
              blind.
              and those who matter don't mind.
              Those who can, do. Those who can't, bully.
              DO NOT forward, cross-post, or copy this post, without written permission!

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
                  What info do you have on this Robert John Rogness , the only one I could
                  Ever find is my Brother Robert John Rogness .. Supposedly named for my
                  Fathers father..

                  My brother was born 2 weeks after our dad died.