new to genealogy!!

  • lotus_bl0ss0m
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
      Hi, my name is vyki. i'm new to the whole genealogy thing, and have a
      bit of information that i gathered from family and what little i could
      find. i'd appreciate any help and tips. i'm having a real problem
      finding my surname CARSWELL. any help would be greatly appreciated
      thanks a bunch!!

      Vyki
    • stubbytate
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 19, 2006
        Welcome to the world of sleepless nights trying to figure out a
        remote ancestor that no one can remember! LOL

        At least that's the way it's been for me since 1983 when I first
        started collecting all sorts of material on my family tree.

        One of the beauties of collecting information is sorting through all
        of it and it CAN get very confusing. If you are into computers, grab
        yourself a good software program (a great many out there - check out
        all of them in google and in some of their forums). I'd also get
        some sort of a file system going (there's a great many ways to
        organize your ancestors and many people who will give you their
        method. No method is wrong! Just work with what makes sense to
        you!).

        Once you have those, invest in a good tape recorder and start asking
        a series of questions to the members of your family. Leave no one or
        nothing out unless they don't feel comfortable with the subject. A
        tape recorder and a camera are two of the most valuable electronic
        tools you'll have.

        Remember, obits are WONDERFUL but basically word-of-mouth so you'll
        want to get other documentations as well to prove existance, events
        and lines. Anything like birth/death/baptism certificates are a
        great start! There are TONS of documents you could gather so leave
        no stone unturned in your search.

        Memories fail so if one cousin's story doesn't match another cousin's
        story, don't worry about it. Accept both stories as fact until you
        can prove (with documentation) otherwise. Family feuds are started
        over the smallest arguments so try not to get caught up with "he-
        said/she-said" type of conversations. :)

        That's a good basic start for you. As you go along your adventure,
        you'll have tons of questions. ALWAYS ASK! And try to keep a very
        open mind :)

        Good Luck!

        Stubby Tate
        avonfromstubby@ yahoo.com

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "lotus_bl0ss0m"
        <lotus_bl0ss0m@...> wrote:

        > Hi, my name is vyki. i'm new to the whole genealogy thing, and
        have a
        > bit of information that i gathered from family and what little i
        could
        > find. i'd appreciate any help and tips. i'm having a real problem
        > finding my surname CARSWELL. any help would be greatly appreciated
        > thanks a bunch!!
        >
        > Vyki

      • Susan R
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 19, 2006
          just doing a quick scan i found a bunch of Carswells listed in alabama in the 1930 census. is this them? any dates/names would be helpful and i can get you some info.

          check out this site:
          http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/ID/3073880
          sendmoreinfo.com "A Penny Earned is a Penny Saved."
        • Keri
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 19, 2006
            Hello Vyki and welcome to the world of Genealogy and to our group!
            If you would post what information you have we all could certainly help
            you.
            Have you tried using ancestry.com and familysearch.org?
            Both are excellent starting points. Also using the search engines like
            Google and Ask.com and putting in the surname you are researching.

            Good Luck and looking forward to being able to help you.

            Keri Sweeney

            <lotus_bl0ss0m@...> wrote:

            > Hi, my name is vyki. i'm new to the whole genealogy thing, and have
            > bit of information that i gathered from family and what little i
            could
            > find. i'd appreciate any help and tips. i'm having a real problem
            > finding my surname CARSWELL. any help would be greatly appreciated
            > thanks a bunch!!
            >
            > Vyki

          • Leyta Ducasse
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
              Hi Vyki

              My name is Leyta and I'm new to this list. I know
              that there are people with the name Carswell
              throughout Canada. Where geographically are you
              looking for the name Carswell?

              --- lotus_bl0ss0m <lotus_bl0ss0m@...> wrote:

              > Hi, my name is vyki. i'm new to the whole genealogy
              > thing, and have a
              > bit of information that i gathered from family and
              > what little i could
              > find. i'd appreciate any help and tips. i'm having
              > a real problem
              > finding my surname CARSWELL. any help would be
              > greatly appreciated
              > thanks a bunch!!
              >
              > Vyki

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • klturner1172
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
                <lotus_bl0ss0m@...> wrote:

                > Hi, my name is vyki. i'm new to the whole genealogy thing, and
                have a
                > bit of information that i gathered from family and what little i
                could
                > find. i'd appreciate any help and tips. i'm having a real
                problem
                > finding my surname CARSWELL. any help would be greatly
                appreciated
                > thanks a bunch!!
                >
                > Vyki

                Vyki- Welcome to the club. We are all here to help. If you give us
                some dates and places we will all help. Information can include
                where you are now, where your parents were born and the like. get
                back with me and I will see what I can get to help you get started
                on this great hobbie.

                Kendria Turner-Carr
              • Lois Edwards
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 21, 2006
                  Hi You need to give more information, such as dates
                  and places. Where did they live?

                  mailto:genealogyresearchclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://mail.yahoo.com