Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Research help

  • kate
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 15, 2006
      Maybe he had simply sailed to Europe on the
      Pennsylvania as a passenger? The US hadn't entered
      WWII yet. So maybe they were using military ships as
      passenger ships?

      Kate

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Tina Paxton
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2006
        Hi! I did check with my librarian...no luck...they don't subscribe to Ancestry. But, they do make www.heritagequest.com so I can get electronic images of all the census and they are all indexed except for most of the 1930. Heritagequest also has electronic images of many books and that is a nice feature. Not nearly as much in their database as Ancestry but it's a start.

        Go to your library and see if they have a subscription to ancestry.com or other paid sites. I did this and my librarian gave me the password for me to use anytime I want and I could even use it at home. I have found a lot of my family through ancestry.com but one thing to remember. Don't trust the search engine on that site. I couldn't find a few family members through the search engine but I physically checked the census records and found the names I wanted. Either the listing is not complete or the spelling might be off. Also, www.archive.gov is the national archive and they have a ton of information that you can use and it is free. Your family member might show up there. This is another site that is good to check out but it is a paid site.... http://www.newenglandancestors.org/ .
        Genealogy is fun. It is like gold prospecting. You can spend many frustrating hours searching for a gold nugget but when you finally find one it is the happiest moment of your life. Then you keep digging around for some more until you have gold fever and you can't stop searching for more.

        Randy

        Tina Paxton <Frecs@...> wrote: Well, I had Googled before but it had been awhile so I thought "who knows, maybe something will pop up"... nothing about the facts I was inquiring about but....low and behold... I found him listed on numerous art auction sites! Seems he was an artist of some note...part of the "Boston School". One site has a biography of him but unless I pay for a membership, I'll have to wait until Friday to see it for free.

[...]

      • Darlene Buchanan
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 22, 2006
          Tina,
          Check and see if you have a Family History Center where you live or close to you. They will have Ancestry and the FHC encourages the public to come in and use the center. The only thing you may run in to is if you live in a small town then they may be only open one or two days or evenings a week. Check hours with them firsts.
          Hi! I did check with my librarian...no luck...they don't subscribe to Ancestry. But, they do make www.heritagequest.com so I can get electronic images of all the census and they are all indexed except for most of the 1930. Heritagequest also has electronic images of many books and that is a nice feature. Not nearly as much in their database as Ancestry but it's a start.

          I would Google him if you haven't already, if you have access to Ancestry, I would look him up in the newspaper section. If the high school is still around I would contact them and ask if they have archived records.
          hope this helps
          Kate

        • lotusloversau
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 22, 2006
            Hi,

            This is the only way to speak to the group from me. Posts keep
            bouncing back for some reason.

            Okay, now that I'm out of hospital, I can let you know that I have
            full access to ancestry.com
            If you want me to look up anything for you, go ahead and ask.
            Perhaps I could also send you an image.

            Of course if any of you find a free site, please let me know because
            I have over 7,000 names and it keeps growing (Yikes)

            My email, if you want to use it, is neferlotus@...

            Thanks,

            Lin
            An Aussie in the group