Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Research help

  • kate
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 15, 2006
      Maybe he had simply sailed to Europe on the
      Pennsylvania as a passenger? The US hadn't entered
      WWII yet. So maybe they were using military ships as
      passenger ships?

      Kate

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Tom Knox
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 15, 2006
        Tina -

        On the 1937 ship list -

        that's the *passenger* ship S.S.Pennsylvania
        http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt9t1nc7wf/
        - I'm not sure that the picture is of the correct ship:
        - there were several passenger & cargo ships of that name

        not the *military* ship the U.S.S.Pennsylvania (BB-38)
        http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-p/bb38.htm
        http://www.usspennsylvania.com/
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Pennsylvania

        California Passenger and Crew Lists
        Name: William Paxton
        Ship Name: S. S. Pennsylvania
        Port of Arrival: Los Angeles, California
        Arrival Date: 7 Aug 1937
        Port of Departure: Havana, Cuba
        Departure Date: 27 July 1937
        Age: 64 Birth Date: 2 May 1873
        Address: 955 Elgenare Rd Los Angeles Cal
        http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
        htx=View&r=an&dbid=7949&iid=cam1764_79-0561

        I would assume that he was enjoying a cruise to Havana
        (which implies a trip through the Panama Canal).

        World War I Draft Registration Card, 1917-1918
        Name: William Arthur Paxton
        City: Los Angeles
        County: Los Angeles
        State: California
        Birth Date: 2 May 1873
        Address: 955 Elgenare? Rd. Los Angeles L.A. Calif
        http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=6482&iid=CA-
        1530904-4830
        NOTE: same address!!

        1930 Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
        address: 955 East Elgenare Rd
        Paxton, William, head 56 married at age 31
        - born Canada:Canada:England immigrated 1874 naturalized
        - occupation: professor, high school; veteran:No; owns the house
        (), Elizabeth, wife 56 married at age 31
        - born NewZealand:AtSea:England immigrated 1900 naturalized
        http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
        htx=View&r=an&dbid=6224&iid=CAT626_163-0924
        NOTE: same address!!!!

        > ... how to confirm ...
        > * Headed up arts department in Fairfax High School

        The 1930 census certainly confirms that he was some kind of teacher
        for a high school - the earlier censuses could give some further
        clue. And I know that lots of high schools keep old yearbooks - so,
        if Fairfax H.S. still exists (and even if it doesn't) then there is
        a good chance that old yearbooks are available and William should be
        pictured in them. And who knows - it may be on their website!

        FairFax High School, 7850 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles, CA
        http://www.fairfaxhs.org/
        http://ca.localschooldirectory.com/schools_info.php/school_id/9186
        http://www.uscharterschools.org/cs/schools/view/ces_sp/488
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfax_High_School_
        (West_Hollywood,_California)
        http://tinyurl.com/y9qdsn (same as the wikipedia URL)
        - I did a Google on query
        "FAIRFAX HIGH SCHOOL" LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA

        > ... how to confirm ...
        > * flew to New Zealand in 1946 or 1947

        He would have to go through Immigration Services for an airplane
        just as for a cruise ship, but I have no idea if such records
        are available on the internet.

        - Tom Knox IBSSG

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Paxton"
        <Frecs@...> wrote:

        > Update: There were two William Paxton's in the arts during the
        same period -- one of the Boston School and the other was my
        ancestor...and artist of note in his own right but I know I need to
        be careful to keep the two separate.

        > What I still can't figure out is what he was doing on the
        Pennsylvania in 1937. He was too old for military service.

      • Tina Paxton
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 18, 2006
          Hi! I did check with my librarian...no luck...they don't subscribe to Ancestry. But, they do make www.heritagequest.com so I can get electronic images of all the census and they are all indexed except for most of the 1930. Heritagequest also has electronic images of many books and that is a nice feature. Not nearly as much in their database as Ancestry but it's a start.

          Go to your library and see if they have a subscription to ancestry.com or other paid sites. I did this and my librarian gave me the password for me to use anytime I want and I could even use it at home. I have found a lot of my family through ancestry.com but one thing to remember. Don't trust the search engine on that site. I couldn't find a few family members through the search engine but I physically checked the census records and found the names I wanted. Either the listing is not complete or the spelling might be off. Also, www.archive.gov is the national archive and they have a ton of information that you can use and it is free. Your family member might show up there. This is another site that is good to check out but it is a paid site.... http://www.newenglandancestors.org/ .
          Genealogy is fun. It is like gold prospecting. You can spend many frustrating hours searching for a gold nugget but when you finally find one it is the happiest moment of your life. Then you keep digging around for some more until you have gold fever and you can't stop searching for more.

          Randy

          Tina Paxton <Frecs@...> wrote: Well, I had Googled before but it had been awhile so I thought "who knows, maybe something will pop up"... nothing about the facts I was inquiring about but....low and behold... I found him listed on numerous art auction sites! Seems he was an artist of some note...part of the "Boston School". One site has a biography of him but unless I pay for a membership, I'll have to wait until Friday to see it for free.

[...]

        • Darlene Buchanan
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 22, 2006
            Tina,
            Check and see if you have a Family History Center where you live or close to you. They will have Ancestry and the FHC encourages the public to come in and use the center. The only thing you may run in to is if you live in a small town then they may be only open one or two days or evenings a week. Check hours with them firsts.
            Hi! I did check with my librarian...no luck...they don't subscribe to Ancestry. But, they do make www.heritagequest.com so I can get electronic images of all the census and they are all indexed except for most of the 1930. Heritagequest also has electronic images of many books and that is a nice feature. Not nearly as much in their database as Ancestry but it's a start.

            I would Google him if you haven't already, if you have access to Ancestry, I would look him up in the newspaper section. If the high school is still around I would contact them and ask if they have archived records.
            hope this helps
            Kate

          • lotusloversau
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 22, 2006
              Hi,

              This is the only way to speak to the group from me. Posts keep
              bouncing back for some reason.

              Okay, now that I'm out of hospital, I can let you know that I have
              full access to ancestry.com
              If you want me to look up anything for you, go ahead and ask.
              Perhaps I could also send you an image.

              Of course if any of you find a free site, please let me know because
              I have over 7,000 names and it keeps growing (Yikes)

              My email, if you want to use it, is neferlotus@...

              Thanks,

              Lin
              An Aussie in the group