Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Research help

  • Tina Paxton
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
      Well, I had Googled before but it had been awhile so I thought "who knows, maybe something will pop up"... nothing about the facts I was inquiring about but....low and behold... I found him listed on numerous art auction sites! Seems he was an artist of some note...part of the "Boston School". One site has a biography of him but unless I pay for a membership, I'll have to wait until Friday to see it for free.

      I don't have access to Ancestry, one of these days I'm going to break down and pay for a month's membership and see just how much research I can get done in one month.

      A kind soul found him listed in the WWI Draft Registrations...AND, surprisingly, on a passenger list for the [USS] Pennsylvania arriving in Los Angeles in 1937. I would have dismissed that as a different person but the birthdate is exact. I suppose it could be a different William Paxton but seems like too much of a co-incidence. Anyway, as is typical...each piece of information opens up yet more areas of research to be done. To bad I'm not independently wealthy so I could do genealogy 24/7!

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 13, 2006
        Update: There were two William Paxton's in the arts during the same period -- one of the Boston School and the other was my ancestor...and artist of note in his own right but I know I need to be careful to keep the two separate.

        What I still can't figure out is what he was doing on the Pennsylvania in 1937. He was too old for military service.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 13, 2006
          Hi, Tina!!
          Go to your library and see if they have a subscription to ancestry.com or other paid sites. I did this and my librarian gave me the password for me to use anytime I want and I could even use it at home. I have found a lot of my family through ancestry.com but one thing to remember. Don't trust the search engine on that site. I couldn't find a few family members through the search engine but I physically checked the census records and found the names I wanted. Either the listing is not complete or the spelling might be off. Also, www.archive.gov is the national archive and they have a ton of information that you can use and it is free. Your family member might show up there. This is another site that is good to check out but it is a paid site.... http://www.newenglandancestors.org/ .
          Genealogy is fun. It is like gold prospecting. You can spend many frustrating hours searching for a gold nugget but when you finally find one it is the happiest moment of your life. Then you keep digging around for some more until you have gold fever and you can't stop searching for more.

          Randy

          Tina Paxton <Frecs@...> wrote: Well, I had Googled before but it had been awhile so I thought "who knows, maybe something will pop up"... nothing about the facts I was inquiring about but....low and behold... I found him listed on numerous art auction sites! Seems he was an artist of some note...part of the "Boston School". One site has a biography of him but unless I pay for a membership, I'll have to wait until Friday to see it for free.

[...]

        • kate
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 15, 2006
            Maybe he had simply sailed to Europe on the
            Pennsylvania as a passenger? The US hadn't entered
            WWII yet. So maybe they were using military ships as
            passenger ships?

            Kate

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Tom Knox
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 15, 2006
              Tina -

              On the 1937 ship list -

              that's the *passenger* ship S.S.Pennsylvania
              http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt9t1nc7wf/
              - I'm not sure that the picture is of the correct ship:
              - there were several passenger & cargo ships of that name

              not the *military* ship the U.S.S.Pennsylvania (BB-38)
              http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-p/bb38.htm
              http://www.usspennsylvania.com/
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Pennsylvania

              California Passenger and Crew Lists
              Name: William Paxton
              Ship Name: S. S. Pennsylvania
              Port of Arrival: Los Angeles, California
              Arrival Date: 7 Aug 1937
              Port of Departure: Havana, Cuba
              Departure Date: 27 July 1937
              Age: 64 Birth Date: 2 May 1873
              Address: 955 Elgenare Rd Los Angeles Cal
              http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
              htx=View&r=an&dbid=7949&iid=cam1764_79-0561

              I would assume that he was enjoying a cruise to Havana
              (which implies a trip through the Panama Canal).

              World War I Draft Registration Card, 1917-1918
              Name: William Arthur Paxton
              City: Los Angeles
              County: Los Angeles
              State: California
              Birth Date: 2 May 1873
              Address: 955 Elgenare? Rd. Los Angeles L.A. Calif
              http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=6482&iid=CA-
              1530904-4830
              NOTE: same address!!

              1930 Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
              address: 955 East Elgenare Rd
              Paxton, William, head 56 married at age 31
              - born Canada:Canada:England immigrated 1874 naturalized
              - occupation: professor, high school; veteran:No; owns the house
              (), Elizabeth, wife 56 married at age 31
              - born NewZealand:AtSea:England immigrated 1900 naturalized
              http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
              htx=View&r=an&dbid=6224&iid=CAT626_163-0924
              NOTE: same address!!!!

              > ... how to confirm ...
              > * Headed up arts department in Fairfax High School

              The 1930 census certainly confirms that he was some kind of teacher
              for a high school - the earlier censuses could give some further
              clue. And I know that lots of high schools keep old yearbooks - so,
              if Fairfax H.S. still exists (and even if it doesn't) then there is
              a good chance that old yearbooks are available and William should be
              pictured in them. And who knows - it may be on their website!

              FairFax High School, 7850 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles, CA
              http://www.fairfaxhs.org/
              http://ca.localschooldirectory.com/schools_info.php/school_id/9186
              http://www.uscharterschools.org/cs/schools/view/ces_sp/488
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfax_High_School_
              (West_Hollywood,_California)
              http://tinyurl.com/y9qdsn (same as the wikipedia URL)
              - I did a Google on query
              "FAIRFAX HIGH SCHOOL" LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA

              > ... how to confirm ...
              > * flew to New Zealand in 1946 or 1947

              He would have to go through Immigration Services for an airplane
              just as for a cruise ship, but I have no idea if such records
              are available on the internet.

              - Tom Knox IBSSG

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Paxton"

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 18, 2006
                Hi! I did check with my librarian...no luck...they don't subscribe to Ancestry. But, they do make www.heritagequest.com so I can get electronic images of all the census and they are all indexed except for most of the 1930. Heritagequest also has electronic images of many books and that is a nice feature. Not nearly as much in their database as Ancestry but it's a start.

                I would Google him if you haven't already, if you have access to Ancestry, I would look him up in the newspaper section. If the high school is still around I would contact them and ask if they have archived records.
                hope this helps
                Kate

              • Darlene Buchanan
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 22, 2006
                  Tina,
                  Check and see if you have a Family History Center where you live or close to you. They will have Ancestry and the FHC encourages the public to come in and use the center. The only thing you may run in to is if you live in a small town then they may be only open one or two days or evenings a week. Check hours with them firsts.
                  Hi! I did check with my librarian...no luck...they don't subscribe to Ancestry. But, they do make www.heritagequest.com so I can get electronic images of all the census and they are all indexed except for most of the 1930. Heritagequest also has electronic images of many books and that is a nice feature. Not nearly as much in their database as Ancestry but it's a start.

                  I would Google him if you haven't already, if you have access to Ancestry, I would look him up in the newspaper section. If the high school is still around I would contact them and ask if they have archived records.
                  hope this helps
                  Kate

                • lotusloversau
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 22, 2006
                    Hi,

                    This is the only way to speak to the group from me. Posts keep
                    bouncing back for some reason.

                    Okay, now that I'm out of hospital, I can let you know that I have
                    full access to ancestry.com
                    If you want me to look up anything for you, go ahead and ask.
                    Perhaps I could also send you an image.

                    Of course if any of you find a free site, please let me know because
                    I have over 7,000 names and it keeps growing (Yikes)

                    My email, if you want to use it, is neferlotus@...

                    Thanks,

                    Lin
                    An Aussie in the group