Organizing information

  • alexienichole90
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2006
      Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to organize all the
      information I gather? I do use Family Tree Maker once I have
      information I know is valid or if I'm adding tree branches from
      other trees I find on Ancestry

      But I also have several documents, such as birth certificates, death
      certificates, marriage certificates, lots of census reports. Some
      are saved on my computer as I find them, others are printed out.
      Plus any messages I receive thru message boards like this one or
      thru RootsWeb. Those I have written down in a notebook I'm using.
      I write down the date of the message and which board it was on. It's
      that or copy and paste the info into MS Word and then print it out

      I have a couple copies of the Family Tree Magazine and there is an
      advertisement in it for a "family book" you can put together, which
      I thought would make a nice Xmas gift for say maybe next year, if I
      can make some headway

      I was going to also write to relatives this Xmas and see if they
      any "family traditions" that were handed down, pictures possibly
      they could share, and verify all living relatives that link back to
      our family and see if their spouses want to add any of their family
      as well to the branches.

      Thanks, Suzanne