Re: understanding newspaper probate announcement

  • Jon Czarowitz
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2006
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, franktose <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

      > In the "Brooklyn Daily Eagle," I found an announcement from the New
      > York courts. The actual court order is dated 2/16/1872. The order says
      > that anyone having claims against Thomas G Terry, late of Brooklyn,
      > should apply to his widow by August 30 next.
      >
      > I cannot find a death notice for Terry but I should be able to figure
      > out the exact date of death from the above information. Does anyone
      > know how?
      >
      > 2/16/1872 should not be right because that would mean back dating the
      > court order which had to have been issued after the death.
      > ---
      A possibility here is that the court was issueing this in reasponse to
      the probate. Terry may not have had a will. This seems like a long
      waiting period, but if he had lived elsewhere before NY, then not too
      long. Travel was slow in thise days. The article indicates 'late of
      Brooklyn' which shows this possibility.
      ---