Re: [Genealogy Research Club] LAPTOP ADVICE

  • Heidi Graf
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2006
      Hi Mary,

      Since you're going to be using it for research (and storing data I'm sure), get the largest hard drive you possibly can. I'd recommend at least a Pentium 4 processor, but if you're buying used, you could probably get away with a Pentium 3 for your purposes.

      Get something with AT LEAST 512 MB of RAM (Memory). This is what the programs you execute load into as well as where documents you're working on that have not been saved to the hard drive are temporarily stored, etc. The more memory, the faster your programs and operating system will load and the less prone your machine will be to "locking up," "freezing," and "crashing."

      Battery life is largely dependent on how you "cycle" it. Cycling the battery is fully charging it then allowing it to COMPLETELY run out of juice and recharging fully, then again allowing it to completely run out of juice. You must do that at least 3-5 times to ensure you will get maximum battery life and longevity. Don't leave it on the charger once it's been fully charged... the laptop will get very HOT! and could fry some internal components as well as drain life out of the battery.

      Make sure you get an operating system that is still supported by Windows. Windows is largely ceasing support and updates for the Windows 9x operating sytems. I'd recommend XP Home for your purposes. Dell includes this with their laptops. Make sure to get a good anti-virus/anti-spyware software package. McAfee is a great paid service, but there are also many great free scanners on the web (got to www.cnet.com and search for anti-virus software). I recommend a program called Avast. It's free for a trial period, then goes to an annual subscription much cheaper than McAfee's.

      Dell has some great deals going on and you can get a very basic laptop that still has great performance for under $800. You could also check out eBay, but be wary of fraudulent auctions there or deals that seem "too good to be true."

      I hope this helps you in making your decision! Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Happy Hunting!
      Heidi
      IT Professional Extraordinare and Avid Genealogist

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
        My advice is �go with a company that can help you�, if you might need some
        help!!!

        I went with a Dell, which give you a choice of battery life.

        I also went to this website to find a coupon HYPERLINK
        "http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/"http://www.cheapstingybargains.com

        Hope you get what you�re looking for,

        Abbie M

        _____