LAPTOP ADVICE

  • Mary Cockrell
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2006
      Dear Group,

      I'm not sure anyone can offer help but I'm asking. I want to buy a laptop
      for family research. Since I will be using it for work at libraries and
      other remote locations I want one with a long battery life. I don't care if
      it has a lot of "bells and whistles" . I don't need it for gaming or
      watching DVDs . just research. Does anyone have a suggestion?

      Thanks for your help,

      Mary Cockrell

    • April Payne
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2006
        I have a Gateway laptop that has served me well for over three years. You will need to buy a "bigger" battery than the standard one that comes with your laptop. The standard battery is meant primarily to kick in in the event of a power outage. For longer terms, you have to purchase an additional batter. Let the company know what your intended usage is and they can advise you.

        april

        Mary Cockrell <MryCckrll@...> wrote:
        Dear Group,

        I'm not sure anyone can offer help but I'm asking. I want to buy a laptop
        for family research. Since I will be using it for work at libraries and
        other remote locations I want one with a long battery life. I don't care if
        it has a lot of "bells and whistles" . I don't need it for gaming or
        watching DVDs . just research. Does anyone have a suggestion?

        Thanks for your help,

        Mary Cockrell

        april

        "Consider me a fool, for I believe in something greater than myself." -- The Galactic Prophet

      • jbaconsr
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2006
          One of the biggest battery consumer is the processor. It should have
          the equivalent of a mobile Centrino (Intel's version) processor.
          That should stretch even the stock battery out at least twice as
          long.I am not familiar with AMD processors enough to know what
          theirs is called. I'm sure they have the same power saving
          technology.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Cockrell"
          <MryCckrll@...> wrote:

          > Dear Group,
          >

          > I'm not sure anyone can offer help but I'm asking. I want to buy
          a laptop
          > for family research. Since I will be using it for work at
          libraries and
          > other remote locations I want one with a long battery life. I
          don't care if
          > it has a lot of "bells and whistles" . I don't need it for gaming
          or
          > watching DVDs . just research. Does anyone have a suggestion?
          >

          > Thanks for your help,
          >

          > Mary Cockrell

        • barbara erickson
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2006
            Mary many laptops come with a power cord that can be pluged in. Try calling places that sell laptops and ask about the batteries, also you can buy an extra battery and keep both charged. I used to work at a computer store in the repair Dept barb

          • Back2rRoots@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2006
              Hi Mary,

              I actually prefer a Apple with the software that allows you run all your
              windows applications. However, I also just purchased a Toshiba Satellite. I had
              a dell but they have the worst customer service so I do not recommend them.
              Anyway, you need to make sure it does have re-writable cd/dvd drive because
              you want to be able to save all your documents and research and backup copies
              of everything you save to your hard drive. DVD-r(w) holds more than a cd-r(w)
              Having large hard drive space or an external hard drive is important if you
              plan on scanning pictures and documents for your research. On my laptop I have
              160 gb hard drive and I also have a external hard drive that is 200 or 250
              gb (I forget which).

              Apples, and some gateways have very good battery life however, depending on
              how long you spend in the library you will not be able to get around either
              carrying a second or carrying your plug. Which every where I go I take my
              plug. Especially in the library they always have place for people with their
              laptops to set up and plug it in.

              I would also suggest making sure you have plenty of memory. In my opinion in
              order for genealogist who research using their computers they need to have
              plenty of memory, large hard drive, re-writable dvd/cd drive and an internal
              wireless card. You want the internal wireless card because a lot of libraries
              offer free wireless inside the library which makes research easier as you
              need to walk around the library you can get on the internet anywhere in the
              library.

              I hope this helps if you have any other questions you can send me an email
              direct I am not an expert but I know a little something.

              Tara

            • Heidi Graf
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2006
                Hi Mary,

                Since you're going to be using it for research (and storing data I'm sure), get the largest hard drive you possibly can. I'd recommend at least a Pentium 4 processor, but if you're buying used, you could probably get away with a Pentium 3 for your purposes.

                Get something with AT LEAST 512 MB of RAM (Memory). This is what the programs you execute load into as well as where documents you're working on that have not been saved to the hard drive are temporarily stored, etc. The more memory, the faster your programs and operating system will load and the less prone your machine will be to "locking up," "freezing," and "crashing."

                Battery life is largely dependent on how you "cycle" it. Cycling the battery is fully charging it then allowing it to COMPLETELY run out of juice and recharging fully, then again allowing it to completely run out of juice. You must do that at least 3-5 times to ensure you will get maximum battery life and longevity. Don't leave it on the charger once it's been fully charged... the laptop will get very HOT! and could fry some internal components as well as drain life out of the battery.

                Make sure you get an operating system that is still supported by Windows. Windows is largely ceasing support and updates for the Windows 9x operating sytems. I'd recommend XP Home for your purposes. Dell includes this with their laptops. Make sure to get a good anti-virus/anti-spyware software package. McAfee is a great paid service, but there are also many great free scanners on the web (got to www.cnet.com and search for anti-virus software). I recommend a program called Avast. It's free for a trial period, then goes to an annual subscription much cheaper than McAfee's.

                Dell has some great deals going on and you can get a very basic laptop that still has great performance for under $800. You could also check out eBay, but be wary of fraudulent auctions there or deals that seem "too good to be true."

                I hope this helps you in making your decision! Let me know if you have any other questions.

                Happy Hunting!
                Heidi
                IT Professional Extraordinare and Avid Genealogist

                I'm not sure anyone can offer help but I'm asking. I want to buy a laptop

                for family research. Since I will be using it for work at libraries and

                other remote locations I want one with a long battery life. I don't care if

                it has a lot of "bells and whistles" . I don't need it for gaming or

                watching DVDs . just research. Does anyone have a suggestion?

                Thanks for your help,

                Mary Cockrell

                <!--

                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                #ygrp-text{
                font-family:Georgia;
                }
                #ygrp-text p{
                margin:0 0 1em 0;
                }
                #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                font-family:Arial;
                clear:both;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav{
                padding-top:10px;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav a{
                padding:0 1px;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar{
                clear:both;
                margin:25px 0;
                white-space:nowrap;
                color:#666;
                text-align:right;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar .left{
                float:left;
                white-space:nowrap;
                }
                .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-grft{
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                padding:15px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-ft{
                font-family:verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                border-top:1px solid #666;
                padding:5px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                padding-bottom:10px;
                }

                #ygrp-vital{
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                font-size:77%;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#333;
                text-transform:uppercase;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul{
                padding:0;
                margin:2px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                list-style-type:none;
                clear:both;
                border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#ff7900;
                float:right;
                width:2em;
                text-align:right;
                padding-right:.5em;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                font-weight:bold;
                }
                #ygrp-vital a {
                text-decoration:none;
                }

                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }

                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                color:#999;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                padding:6px 13px;
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                padding:0 0 0 8px;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                list-style-type:square;
                padding:6px 0;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                text-decoration:none;
                font-size:130%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                background-color:#eee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:0 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                padding:8px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                font-family:Arial;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#628c2a;
                font-size:100%;
                line-height:122%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                text-decoration:none;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                margin:0;
                }
                o {font-size:0;}
                .MsoNormal {
                margin:0 0 0 0;
                }
                #ygrp-text tt{
                font-size:120%;
                }
                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                .replbq {margin:4;}
                -->

              • AbbieM
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
                  My advice is �go with a company that can help you�, if you might need some
                  help!!!

                  I went with a Dell, which give you a choice of battery life.

                  I also went to this website to find a coupon HYPERLINK
                  "http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/"http://www.cheapstingybargains.com

                  Hope you get what you�re looking for,

                  Abbie M

                  _____