english immigration 1869-1876

  • glen
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
      Could any kind person with privy to immigration lists from england to
      usa (dates above) perform a search for me?
      I am looking for my great grandfather Walter Bowers born 1848 who
      emmigrated between the above dates, he had a son named William Henry
      Bowers who stated in later English census that he was born in Portland
      Connecticut, the family came home before 1876 when my grandfather
      remarried, his first wife Mary Ann we presume had died in Portland.
      Also I am being cheeky here any USA census info' would be totally
      appreciated,
      best regards
      Glen (female)
      Lancashire England
    • Tom Knox
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
        Glen -

        I searched for WALT* BOW*R* in CT
        and WALT* BOW*R* from ENGLAND -

        1870 Portland, Middlesex, CT - Page 51
        Bowers, Walter, 22 Quarry Laborer born England
        (), Mary A, 22 Keeps House born England
        (), Alfred T, 1 born England
        http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
        htx=View&r=an&dbid=7163&iid=CTM593_108-0366

        Oh! How interesting! All were born in England -
        I wonder if they were *married* in England?

        England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983
        Name: Walter Bowers
        Year of Registration: 1869 Jul-Aug-Sep
        District: Runcorn
        County: Cheshire
        Volume: 8a Page: 291
        http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
        htx=view&r=an&dbid=8913&iid=ONS_M18694AZ-0480
        NOTE: Married on that same year/quarter in the same district/county
        and same volume/page are:
        1869 Jul-Aug-Sep Runcorn Cheshire 8a 291
        Walter Bowers
        Mary Ann Haddock
        Emma Cole
        James Henry Drover

        Was "Mary Ann Haddock" the first wife of Walter Bowers?

        Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
        Name: Walter Bowers
        Arrival Date: 16 Oct 1869
        Age: 21 years
        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1848
        Gender: Male
        Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
        Ship Name: Samaria
        Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
        Microfilm Roll Number: M277_76
        http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
        htx=View&r=an&dbid=8745&iid=MAM277_76-0355
        Occupation: Laborer
        Origin: England
        Part of Vessel Occupied: Steerage

        If these puzzle-pieces fit together (marriage & emigration dates),
        then it is very possible that "Alfred T" (1870 census)
        might have actually been born in the U.S. not in England.
        But then - where is the immigration record for MARY BOWERS?

        Is this your Walter BOWERS after his return to England?
        1881 England Census
        Civil Parish: Runcorn, Cheshire, England
        Street address: Perrey St
        http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
        htx=view&r=an&dbid=7572&iid=CHSRG11_3513_3517-0363
        Bowers, Walter, head 33 Blacksmith born Cheshire Runcorn
        (), Margaret, wife 30 Wife born Cheshire ?Frodsham
        (), William H, son 8 Scholar born U S America
        Bowers, Thomas/4, Annie/3, Eunice M/2 (all born Cheshire Runcorn

        - Tom Knox IBSSG

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "glen" <glenfagan@...>
        wrote:

        > Could any kind person with privy to immigration lists from england
        to usa (dates above) perform a search for me?
        > I am looking for my great grandfather Walter Bowers born 1848 who
        > emmigrated between the above dates, he had a son named William Henry
        > Bowers who stated in later English census that he was born in
        Portland Connecticut, the family came home before 1876 when my
        grandfather remarried, his first wife Mary Ann we presume had died in
        Portland.
        > Also I am being cheeky here any USA census info' would be totally
        > appreciated,
        > best regards
        > Glen (female)
        > Lancashire England

      • Rebecca Betz-Festa
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 12, 2006
          Hi Glen:

          1870 U.S. Cenus
          Page 51 (or could be 57)
          Town of Portland
          County of Middlesex
          State of Connecticut
          Enumerated 9th June 1970
          Family #405

          Bowers, Walter, age 22 - Male - White - Quarry Labor - born England
          Bowers, Mary A., age 22 - Female - White - Keeping House - born
          England - cannot write
          Bowers, Alfred T., age 1 - Male - White - born England

          all three entries are checked off for father foreign born and mother
          foreign born.

          I looked online, but could not find a death record for Mary Ann Bowers.

          Hope this helps.

          Rebecca

          wrote:

          > Could any kind person with privy to immigration lists from england to
          > usa (dates above) perform a search for me?
          > I am looking for my great grandfather Walter Bowers born 1848 who
          > emmigrated between the above dates, he had a son named William Henry
          > Bowers who stated in later English census that he was born in
          Portland
          > Connecticut, the family came home before 1876 when my grandfather
          > remarried, his first wife Mary Ann we presume had died in Portland.
          > Also I am being cheeky here any USA census info' would be totally
          > appreciated,
          > best regards
          > Glen (female)
          > Lancashire England

        • glen
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 15, 2006
            Hi Mr Tom Knox,
            and thankyou for all your efforts, you are spot on with all your
            research, as Carly has helped with look ups too, now I do not know
            why Mary Ann Bowers yes nee Haddock hasn't any immigration details
            but I have their marriage cert they were married Halton Cheshire
            England 30th Sept 1869 Mary ann Haddock (was illigitimate), but I
            researched Alfred T Bowers birth myself and found that he was born
            Alfred Thomas Haddock illigitimate and born Jan 1/4 1869 in Runcorn
            he was born
            almost 9 months before Walter and Mary Ann were married he may have
            been someone
            elses child and not Walters I have sent for his birth cert.
            Yes Tom .....you are right, Walter second married a Margaret Pope in
            1876 (cert) when he returned to England, William Henry Bowers born
            1873 Portland USA told a tale to his grandchildren (my distant
            cousin through Walter) that he was born in a covered wagon on the
            plains and when he came back to England with his father they had to
            leave a child behind! sad tale, so did Mary Ann Bowers die? if so
            was it in child birth/ and Walter could not bring a baby back or did
            Mary ann run off? and what happened to Alfred Thomas, well we will
            never know I don't think,
            best regards for your help and interest, I will be letting you know
            if anything crops up
            Glen.--- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"
            <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > Bowers, Thomas/4, Annie/3, Eunice M/2 (all born Cheshire Runcorn
            >
            > - Tom Knox IBSSG
            >

            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "glen" <glenfagan@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Could any kind person with privy to immigration lists from
            england
            > to usa (dates above) perform a search for me?
            > > I am looking for my great grandfather Walter Bowers born 1848
            who
            > > emmigrated between the above dates, he had a son named William
            Henry
            > > Bowers who stated in later English census that he was born in
            > Portland Connecticut, the family came home before 1876 when my
            > grandfather remarried, his first wife Mary Ann we presume had died
            in
            > Portland.
            > > Also I am being cheeky here any USA census info' would be

          • glen
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 15, 2006
              Thank you very much Rebecca,
              I have recieved lots of info and yours is appreciated
              Best regards
              Glen--- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca Betz-
              Festa" <vct@...> wrote:

              > Hi Glen:
              >

              > 1870 U.S. Cenus
              > Page 51 (or could be 57)
              > Town of Portland
              > County of Middlesex
              > State of Connecticut
              > Enumerated 9th June 1970
              > Family #405
              >
              > Bowers, Walter, age 22 - Male - White - Quarry Labor - born England
              > Bowers, Mary A., age 22 - Female - White - Keeping House -
              born
              > England - cannot write
              > Bowers, Alfred T., age 1 - Male - White - born England
              >
              > all three entries are checked off for father foreign born and
              mother
              > foreign born.
              >
              > I looked online, but could not find a death record for Mary Ann
              Bowers.

              > Hope this helps.
              >
              > Rebecca
              >

              > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "glen" <glenfagan@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Could any kind person with privy to immigration lists from
              england to
              > > usa (dates above) perform a search for me?
              > > I am looking for my great grandfather Walter Bowers born 1848
              who
              > > emmigrated between the above dates, he had a son named William
              Henry
              > > Bowers who stated in later English census that he was born in
              > Portland
              > > Connecticut, the family came home before 1876 when my
              grandfather
              > > remarried, his first wife Mary Ann we presume had died in
              Portland.
              > > Also I am being cheeky here any USA census info' would be
              totally
              > > appreciated,
              > > best regards
              > > Glen (female)
              > > Lancashire England

            • Tom Knox
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 15, 2006
                > ... William Henry Bowers born 1873 Portland USA told a tale
                > to his grandchildren (my distant cousin through Walter)
                > that he was born in a covered wagon on the plains
                > and when he came back to England with his father ...

                Hmmm, yes, well, okay (LOL!) -
                I wouldn't want to call "William Henry Bowers" a liar exactly, but I
                think that he was definitely stretching the truth - if he was born
                in Portland, CT, USA (the state of Connecticut in the region of New
                England of the United States) (the location of the 1870 census of
                Walter & Mary Bowers), then he definitely was NOT "born in a covered
                wagon on the plains"! Connecticut is a LONG ways away from the Great
                Plains of the United States (over 1,000 miles away!), and
                Connecticut is a small state that would not be described as
                having "plains" at all! It sounds like he may have been confusing
                the location of Portland, Connecticut, on the EAST coast of America
                with Portland, Oregon, which is 3,000 miles away on the WEST coast
                of America, on the other side of the Great Plains! Or William may
                have simply been repeating stories told to HIM by his father Walter -
                after all, William H was no older than age 3 when he went back to
                England with his father Walter before 1877!
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut
                state of Connecticut - 70 miles wide by 110 miles long

                Noting the 1881 census with Thomas age 4 born England, then Walter
                Bowers must have returned to England before 1877. That time period
                (after William's birth in 1873 and before Walter's return to England
                before 1877) DOES give time for the possibility that Walter & Mary
                and infant William H *MAY HAVE* attempted a trip west in a covered
                wagon (With no clue of what happened to Alfred T). And if the Bowers
                family did attempt such a trip, then Mary and Alfred Bowers could be
                buried almost anywhere in the United States. However - I would still
                suggest looking near Portland, Connecticut, as the first possibility.

                This reminds me of someone I was helping with their genealogy (in
                Wisconsin, USA) - she INSISTED that her grandfather (deceased) was
                an immigrant from Germany and born in Berlin - after some digging,
                documentation showed that he was really second-generation American
                (of German ancestry) born in BERLIN, WISCONSIN (the "immigrant" part
                she must have assumed after originally assuming that her grandfather
                was born in BERLIN, GERMANY.)

                wrote:

                > Hi Mr Tom Knox,
                > and thankyou for all your efforts, you are spot on with all your
                > research, as Carly has helped with look ups too, now I do not know
                > why Mary Ann Bowers yes nee Haddock hasn't any immigration details
                > but I have their marriage cert they were married Halton Cheshire
                > England 30th Sept 1869 Mary ann Haddock (was illigitimate), but I
                > researched Alfred T Bowers birth myself and found that he was born
                > Alfred Thomas Haddock illigitimate and born Jan 1/4 1869 in
                Runcorn he was born almost 9 months before Walter and Mary Ann were
                married he may have been someone elses child and not Walters I have
                sent for his birth cert.
                > Yes Tom .....you are right, Walter second married a Margaret Pope
                in 1876 (cert) when he returned to England, William Henry Bowers
                born 1873 Portland USA told a tale to his grandchildren (my distant
                > cousin through Walter) that he was born in a covered wagon on the
                > plains and when he came back to England with his father they had
                to leave a child behind! sad tale, so did Mary Ann Bowers die? if so
                was it in child birth/ and Walter could not bring a baby back or did
                > Mary ann run off? and what happened to Alfred Thomas, well we will
                > never know I don't think, best regards for your help and interest,
                I will be letting you know if anything crops up
                > Glen.
              • glen
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 16, 2006
                  Hello Tom Knox,
                  I agree with all you say..........but when Walter came back from USA
                  he was a blacksmith, do you think he learned his trade travelling?
                  he died a blacksmith so he couldn't have been all that bad and
                  wagons needed horses and horses needed shoeing, I think he went off
                  somewhere whether it was with his wife and child Alfred we will
                  never know, but I do agree that it is poetic license re the covered
                  wagon and plains.........Only reporting what William Henry Bowers
                  c1873 his grandchildren reported,
                  regards Glen.--- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom
                  Knox" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > Yes Tom .....you are right, Walter second married a Margaret
                  Pope
                  > in 1876 (cert) when he returned to England, William Henry Bowers
                  > born 1873 Portland USA told a tale to his grandchildren (my
                  distant
                  > > cousin through Walter) that he was born in a covered wagon on
                  the
                  > > plains and when he came back to England with his father they had
                  > to leave a child behind! sad tale, so did Mary Ann Bowers die? if
                  so
                  > was it in child birth/ and Walter could not bring a baby back or
                  did
                  > > Mary ann run off? and what happened to Alfred Thomas, well we
                  will
                  > > never know I don't think, best regards for your help and
                  interest,
                  > I will be letting you know if anything crops up

                • Tom Knox
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 16, 2006
                    Glen -

                    > do you think he learned his trade travelling?

                    That's something else that we may never know.
                    Yes, horses & wagons need blacksmiths, but he could have learned the
                    trade while never leaving Connecticut - and "rock work" also
                    requires blacksmiths -
                    - in 1870, Walter is listed as a "Quarry Laborer": he could have
                    started learning the blacksmith trade while working at the quarry,
                    or he could have learned the trade to get OUT of the quarry.

                    Some other resources:

                    BOWERS Genealogy Message Boards
                    http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/board/an/surnames.bowers
                    http://genforum.genealogy.com/bowers/

                    U.S. GenWeb http://www.usgenweb.com/
                    Connecticut http://www.rootsweb.com/~ctgenweb/
                    Middlesex County http://www.rootsweb.com/~ctmiddle/midlsxco.htm
                    Portland, CT http://www.rootsweb.com/~ctmiddle/Portland_Home.htm

                    - Tom Knox

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@..., "glen" <glenfagan@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Tom Knox,
                    > I agree with all you say..........but when Walter came back from
                    USA
                    > he was a blacksmith, do you think he learned his trade travelling?
                    > he died a blacksmith so he couldn't have been all that bad and
                    > wagons needed horses and horses needed shoeing, I think he went
                    off
                    > somewhere whether it was with his wife and child Alfred we will
                    > never know, but I do agree that it is poetic license re the
                    covered
                    > wagon and plains.........Only reporting what William Henry Bowers
                    > c1873 his grandchildren reported,
                    > regards Glen
                  • glen
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
                      Hello Tom Knox,
                      thankyou for all those links very kind of you