Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Digest Number 1006

  • kendria turner
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 22, 2006
      April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote: If you need help. I 'll be glad to look for you. Just give me some names and dates,places and we will try to get you going over your brick wall.

      Kendria

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2006
        Hi Kendra,Thank you so much.I have found alot on the Dooleys,but i cant find anything on my greatgrandmother (Matha A. Dooley B:03-04-1885-1884 D:03-1941 in Taylor Co Ky.On Some of the info i have her name was Matilda A Dooley.Martha parents were William R. Dooley Born May 1840 in Ky...Died Oct 13,1912 in Taylor Co.And Eliza Jane Wallace Born Dec 15,1847 in TnDied Nov 5,1918.in Taylor Co.They wre married in April 17,1864.They had 11 Children.But my grandmother had her name as Martha.My grandmothers name was Virgie Masden(maiden name of Jackson)She was born 02-15-1901.Died 07-01-1977 in jefferson Co,KySister Ada JacksonBorn 03-19-1898 Died 08-1992 in Jefferson Co, Ky..Both were born in Taylor Co,Ky.Martha Dooley was married to Edward W.( Willis) Jackson Born in 1882 Taylor Co,Ky.Died 09-09-1448 in Taylor co.Acordding to the papers i found my grandmother Virgie had,She had Martha Married 3 times.Married:James M. Burton on Nov,10 1881 Then to Thomas Powell July 11,1889? Then she married my greatgrandfather Edward W. on Oct 17,1891 or 1896 it's hard to read the papers are so faded.I'm pretty sure Martha had other children.If you could also check out my grandmother Virgie,that would be wonderful.I know she Married a John Newton 12-27-1917 He was born aug 6,1889 Died March 1963.They had 4 children Jessie,William H,Charles C,Mary Martha.She Married Charles Manuel Hagan(my grandfather)I don't know when the were married.But he was from Bowling Green Ky,Warren co Born 12-25-1886 Died 11-26-1939 in Louisville,kyJefferson Co.They had 3 children Born alive Manuel Jr,(1 child stillborn Ralph )James Wade,Ada Helen.Then she married A Samuel Offutt and a Russell Masden.Oh My! I started typing and didn't slow down.*L* I would be tickled to death at Anything you find out and i Really appreciate you asking to help me.Thank you Sooooo much.Carol

        Have A Great Day!

      • April Payne
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2006
          The only definitive record I found on my paternal great-grandfather has been the 1900 census out of Washington State. He came to the States in 1878 and became a naturalized citizen. I found his registry number through Ancestry.com. He married my great-grandmother, Edith Pearl HERRING on May 19, 1889 in Jackson County, MO. I have not been able to trace him back to England, where the notation in a family bible has him born.

          His name is Arthur DEWDNEY and he was born in Surrey County, near Dorking on March 25, 1862. He died in Kansas on March 11, 1905 and was buried at a Maple Hill Cemetery in Argentine, Kansas. He worked for the railway there and was apparently killed on the job.

          His father was an Alfred DEWDNEY, but it is unclear who is mother was. There is only a single name written where it says maiden name on this same family bible page. It could be Louise or Lorine, it's very hard to discern, so I'm keeping that name open. Alfred is listed as having died in 1913.

          I know Arthur had at least one brother named Alfred DEWDNEY and a sister, Kathryn.

          I have found an Alfred in the census record living in the Dorking area, but his wife is a Naomi. They have several children, an Arthur being one of the oldest, listed as born within a couple of years of my great-grandfather's birth year. In a later census this same Alfred had more children listed, a Kate being among them. So all three names in my tree are there, plus others. I am clueless.

          My grandfather (one of Arthur's sons) used to joke that his father was paid by his brothers to leave England. This would imply he had more than the one mentioned above. But I've yet to find them with any certainty. I have so little to go on and none of them are around any more to ask. My grandfather's youngest brother died last year, but for years he was not in a position to be asked anything. He was the last surviving child from that generation.

          Since Edith cut us off from the English relations once her husband died, I have no names to go on further down this line. I'm really stumped. I do have a picture of the house in England, however degraded the photo is. Seems years ago an attorney came calling seeking heirs to the estate. My one uncle turned him away saying we were not the DEWDNEY branch he was seeking and when my dad questioned him about it later, Roland Paul did confess we were the right family, he just didn't wish to pay the taxes on the property . . . again, we were cut off!

          Can I scream now? I don't even know how to get in touch with some of my dad's cousins, as my one Grand Aunt, Mary Alice DEWDNEY had several children with her husband Ruben SILVER and even though her youngest sent a letter inquiring about Arthur, my one uncle sat on said letter so that by the time I got my hands on it, the address was no longer valid. My responding letter came back to me unopened! Betty SILVER Richardson failed to mention names of any of her children, but I had her married name. Still nothing is turning up on my preliminary web search . . . Most of my grandfather's siblings either didn't marry or their spouses and/or children aren't listed in this same bible.

          :: bangs head on desk ::

          Any help is more than welcomed. Sorry for the long post.

          april DEWDNEY Payne

          kendria turner <klturner1172@...> wrote:

          April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote: If you need help. I 'll be glad to look for you. Just give me some names and dates,places and we will try to get you going over your brick wall.

          Kendria

        • Jewel
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 25, 2007
            HI Evie

            I was interested in your Goode/Good tree?
            I notice you have an Ann Goode and also a Samuel further down is that
            Goode to?? Do you know where they are from?

            can you please contact me so we can discuss possible connections in
            our trees?

            Hmm you have Hemphrey also could this be Humphrey? variation?
            thank you

            Jewelly
            in Australia

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Evie Christian
            <stayingclose@...> wrote:

            > I've got

            > Ann Goode-
            > Cicely-9th great grandmother- Surname?
            > Hemphrey-10th great uncle-
            > Henry13th great grandfather-
            > Henry-14th great randfather
            > John11th great grandfather-
            > John-10th great uncle
            > Richard-11th great uncle
            > Samuel-
            > William-12th great grandfather
            > William10th great grandfather-
            > William-11th great grandfather
            >
            > I've got alot of other info on the Farrar's, got to find it some
            pics & documents as well. I just don't have any new & current info on
            the Farrars, mostly just dealing with the royalty aspect.